I have some strawberries and papaya dehydrating

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brody

Reaction score
I follow a pretty local diet for the humans in the house (except bananas and oranges - couldn't live without them) but the bunnies??
oh no they need fresh food in their diets - LOL

:lol:
Saw the title and IMMEDIATELY started thinking "why is she dehydrating the fruit for the daiquiris?"

right. I just bought parsley, turnip greens, and fresh basil. ... NOT for me, but for the buns. Hadn't thought about papaya...

Spoiled, spoiled bunnies! :rotfl:

Mine are making do with pumpkin, carrots and small amounts of cabbage right now along with their alfalfa hay and grain mix. The cabbage is new to them this year.... I've always been leery of feeding it because it is "gassy". We started with just a small piece each and worked it up to about half a large leaf. They seem to enjoy it and so far no problems.

I finally rummaged around in the greenhouse and found some potting soil today, so soon as it thaws I will start some grain grass.

i was pretty pleased I got to mid winter with saved local foods for them ;)
actually I still have a half tote of maple leaves but I want them to last til plantain is up so wanted to change it up some :)

Glad you tried the cabbage successfully Maggie- we have fed it always. It's so easy to grow here in the winter.
They would have had carrots but....the wild buns ate the tops off and the little nubbins are just sitting there. Hoping they will re-sprout when it warms up a bit. My last big leaf parsley got root rot from this unceasing rain we have had so we are down to collards and winter squash and apple prunings.
I love the idea of papaya - would be so good for the longer coats too. Thanks for that tip.
B~

Question.. Briza how much cabbage would your rabbits get at a time? Also interested in the collards as they seem to be cheaper at this time of year. I have always heard cabbage was "gassy" too, but wonder how much of that is "human" based? I know cabbage and beans and broccoli give humans a hard time hem hem but how do rabbit digestive tracts fare? I don't feel that a rabbit's digestion is anywhere near what ours is.Even a dogs is pretty different from ours as well yet we seem to place our physical beings onto our pets/livestock.

Are the strawberries and papaya being dehydrated for storage or are they better for the buns then?

Well Maggie has cautioned about brassica family several times but I must say I have been an ignorant rabbit keeper for about 30 years and we always fed them from the garden in season. They don't get tons of it but the outside leaves when I harvest for the house. Collards we plant in a very wide row sown like lettuce and they stay small and they get a few small leaves a week. But I would be very careful with adults that have not had anything like this and give them a tiny piece to start just so they can let you know if it does not agree with them. We put greens in with the does and the kits just cover it and poof! Gone so they grow up eating it which is why it is ok as adults. I fed whatever was in the garden because I have been fighting wild rabbits all my life for my veggies and so it never occurred to me that they could be bad for them. They have wiped out an entire row of beets in one night! So...please start slowly with any feed changes but we have not had trouble with anything we grow. Store veggies are fertilized with commercial chemical brews and so can concentrate nitrates so I am wondering if perhaps this is the gassy thing- they also use lots of sulfate forms of chemicals to fertilize- ammonium sulfate etc and so the plants can concentrate sulfur compounds and perhaps really do cause gas. We do not use anything but home grown fertilizer! So that could be one of the differences and why it has been ok.
Don't make any one sick on my experience please!
B~

Latest posts

Back