Register

I hate raccoons

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 170.00

I hate raccoons

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Delicatessy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:21 pm

My animals were kept indoors during the winter. We have an unused sunroom that we put them in. Fully enclosed with the typical doors and windows, ground floor. Somehow, a raccoon (most likely culprit in the suburbs) bust down a window, ripped my poor parakeets out of the cage and somehow managed to capture my pair of free flying pigeons too(10x20 room with lots of high perches). The only animals I have left is my pair of rabbits which were apparently too big to bother with (standard rex and new zealand mutt) :evil:
And this is soon after I found my sweet sweet parrot mysteriously dead in her cage :cry:

So I am down to only two pets not including the goldfish, a busted window that needs complete replacing and trauma. And its not even over yet! I found out they are living in my attic and are leaving huge poop piles up there. They've knocked out a smoke detector with their running around too. All around a lot of money that needs to be spent and cleaning to do to prevent health hazards. I hate raccoons. :angry:

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Re: I hate raccoons

Post Number:#2  Unread postby akane » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:48 am

There are worse things. Run into a fisher cat and try to predator proof against it. The coons are a pain. I've had to kick them out of a lot of older buildings and they will tear screens so everything on the farm had to be backed by heavy wire. They often catch birds at night because birds are unable to see in the dark (aside from the few nighttime predatory birds) and will either stay where they are or try to fly but hit things and fall on the ground. I lost some of my favorite pet chickens and quail to one. I almost had one kill a cat too. The ones we were dealing with were probably 30-40lbs. The biggest not fitting in a trap unless we wanted to buy a coyote trap. My most troublesome annoyance in town now are possums. The ugly scavengers are into everything unchecked by anything bigger around. We have a garbage can that holds an entire 1 1/2 bags so we have tried to store trash various places to haul to the landfill when we get a truckload but we keep running into that dang possum. Then I have to clean it up before I get a ticket.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Site Supporter
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 2,875.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Truckinguy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:51 am

I"ve had raccoon problems here for years and lost a few birds to them but three or four summers ago I caught 26 of them and haven't had much of a problem since. Rats have moved in for the first time this past summer and I've caught about a dozen of them so far and had an issue with the mink a few weeks ago but caught that too. It's a never ending battle!

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,790.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby GBov » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:34 pm

If it helps any, raccoons taste REALLY GOOD! I am trying to catch one we call the Decapitator, its reaching through and pulling chicks to the fence and eating their heads. Of course, if the stupid birds would PERCH they would be safe but noooooo, htey pile up in the corners so they can be reached.

The dog is shuttling round the pens right now so the losses have dropped but he cant be everywhere.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 578.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Dwc77 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:28 pm

About 5 years ago a had a brilliant idea to plant a decent size sweet corn patch probably 50' X 100'. Worked my butt off planting and weeding! I was so proud of that patch of corn :cry: I had to travel to Ohio for work for a couple weeks thinking that the corn Whould be about ready when I get home. My dad calls me says raccoons got in my corn (he worned about it) my heart just sunk! I get home couldn't believe how much they tore. I did manage to send three to the after life :D. So to say I HATE raccoons Whould be a very big understatement! And I hold grudges :lol: