I got my silkie chics today!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggysbabysitter

Reaction score
I don't have any pics yet... infact I'm typing with one hand because they fell asleep in my other...
Tiny blond babies are going to be very spoiled, but I had to promise they would NOT come to bed... like the iguana did so often.

I can vouch that these are really cute lil guys. I should have snapped a few pics for ya yesterday.

Now I want some (I've always liked the breed). Thinking about building a coop for a few... :lol:

It's early yet, but I believe I have a rooster :(
One ACTS like a hen, submisive, bows down when my hand comes near, is wider and walks low. The other is bolder, walks taller and shoves his chest into my hand whenever it comes near. Sounds like a rooster to me... We'll see in a few weeks if he starts to crow. If it's a boy... it may end up at your place to grow out since I can't have noisie roosters in town (bylaw says ok to hens, NO roosters!)

So, I was up late with them, and EVERY time I went upstairs to get something, or go to sleep, they start chirping... SO loud (or so perfectly it echoed off the china cabinet) that no matter where I was it sounded as though they were beside me.
They ARE adorable. XD

Ha. Well, maybe if I lose my sanity and actually set something up, we can swap one out of my batch for you. It'd depend on the ratio I got, of course. Or are you thinking of getting another couple chicks?

Btw, if you need to unload a roo on us, I'm sure that's just fine.

Ha-ha... Now see what you've done, Iggy? David wants Silkies too!

How are your lil ones doing this morning?

My new chicks never stop eating! I can't believe they went through a whole yogout container yesterday. The Welsummers are so pretty - striped like chipmunks. The Marans are not so cute but they will be handsome birds later.

I had to take the mortar and pestle to the feed, my nut chopper didn't do so good a job. They eat every half hour or so, and sleep SOOOOO much. I worried about them getting too hot lastnight, as I saw them panting at one point. I moved them away from the light, got them to drink and they were fine. They aren't interested in the feed like I hoped they would, but when a fly (you know the BIG ones that look like mosquitos, but eat mosquitos) got in the cage, one ate it. Hmm... they know thier purpose in life :)
The one I think is a female is wobbly, like she's unsure of everything, and I worry about her... her wings don't lay as nice as they should and she tumbles backward a lot. The one I think is a rooster is bolder, sure footed, and stronger.
Daven doesn't mind them, the kids love them, and want to hold them all the time... to bad they sleep so much. The poodle wants them, Dino couldn't care less. And Draco says "Give me back my dang lamp!" lol.
The cage is soooo big, they have a wool barret for a nest (I needed something warm to hold them while bleached out the cage), and I CAN"T wait till they look like silkies :)
Thanks Maggie. I'm glad I finally just did it.

Perhaps you should avoid handling the female too much. She may need to gain strength before she is up to it. They are so tiny and fragile compared to regular chicks! If you have the light at one end of the cage, they should move away from it on their own if they are too hot. It makes things a lot easier if they can choose for themselves.

Mine are looking crowded already. I'm going to have to clean out a rabbit cage for them or divide them into two tote boxes. Messy little things. I had to put their water fount on a block to keep them from kicking shavings into it every two minutes.

Lol, mine walk in thier water, then into the food, then into the water... I have to dump out mush every few hours.
I guess I'll hide temptation, and smuggle them to my bedroom for the day (I have been petting them and letting them snuggle into my hand, and picking them up an awful lot I suppose)
Sigh... it's just so hard NOT touching them :)
One almost got named Anthony... then I realized I might have to put "him" in a pot someday... I don't think I'll name it til I know it's a girl.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:54 pm __________<br /><br />My beautiful little carnivors experienced their first worm today... poor worm. The fighting and squacking was so bad I had to unearth a second one. And now they are full and sleepy :)

lol, Maggie, they shied away from the wire worm that skittered past them. And the nightcrawler. As long as I bring it to them, the eat it. I can't believe the change in them since getting some worms... so they'll get more treats :)

I think you should give them some kind of grit to help them process the worms. Even a small clod cut from your lawn will give them the chance to find what they need. They'll pick through it, eat some bits and scratch through the rest. Keeps them busy. Must to do that for mine very soon, but I'm so tired just now.

I have the rabbit cage free that I need for the chicks, but need to clean it up and set it up in the greenhouse. They're getting cramped in the tote box and I can't get things from the freezer without moving them.

Oh, BTW, quite a few of your seeds are up. :)

Latest posts

Back