I got my first rabbits!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h0lLy_01

Reaction score
Last night I got my first 2 pet rabbits, a Rex and a Mini Rex! One of my mom's friends were wanting to give them away so she got them for me. The Rex is a orange female and the Mini Rex is a black male. They have been living together since they got them, but now I have to separate them because she might be pregnant.

She is very skittish, any ideas on how to make her more friendly and calm toward people?<br /><br />__________ Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:11 pm __________<br /><br />

Attachments

• Rabbit 01.jpg
    Rabbit 01.jpg
    634.7 KB · Views: 1,371
  • Holly's Animals 02.jpg
    Holly's Animals 02.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,371
  • Holly's Animals 03.jpg
    Holly's Animals 03.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 1,371
You might try picking her up and petting her but sometimes rabbits are just skittish by nature.sometimes bribing with treats helps.

Hello there.

Are you sure the orange is a Rex? She doesn't seem to have the same fur type as the black one.

She does not look REX to me...the buck is, but she looks like a Palomino to me....here is a pic of a Palomino...

Palomino.jpg

Now, as to helping her to be more friendly...You just got her, so she needs a few days of "alone" time. Don't mess with her besides giving food and water and emptying pan. After a few days, start offering her a small treat when you are there...a SMALL piece of apple, some fresh grass blades or dandelion leaves, some rolled oats...then gradually move to stroking her nose from bottom to top. This is a grooming behavior for them. She will come around, but you need to be patient with her.

I would get the buck out of the cage and give her a nest box now if you "think" she might be pregnant. If they have been housed together for any length of time, then she likely is...and you don't want her to drop the babies on the wire. Good luck!

Congratulations! You must be very excited! I agree that you probably have a Rex and a Palomino. It will be interesting to see what her babies look like. :)

very nice black mini rex buck and i agree the does doesnt look like a rex the fur isnt like the bucks she looks like a Palomino.

Thanks for the advice! I am building a new pen for both of them, a bigger one. They told me she was a Rex but she does look like a Palomino. If she does end up having babies I'll post pictures. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back