I don't know if she's pregnant! But I hope she is!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggysbabysitter

Reaction score
I bought a californian doe Thanksgiving weekend, and I've been trying to get her anger issues under control... she's a cage lunger. Well, I took a sick day yesturday, and had the kids feed and water her, so I didn't see the back of her cage since Wed. Tonight I found a nice white mound of hair and hay. I haven't bred her. I tried to palpate her, but all I feel is firm belly. Nothing moving, really. So other than waiting and watching, I don't know how to tell.
Is it dangerous to handle pregnant does too much? I've been trying to pick her up daily to get her accustomed to being handled.

If she's pulling fur, she's likely close to kindling time... if, indeed, she is pregnant and not just messing with your mind. :D

I don't generally handle my does much when they are pregnant, but I think as long as you are careful no harm would come of it. You might want to stop now, however, in case she is very close to her time.

Hope your next post has popple news! :clover:

It's supposed to be cage cleaning day... her solid bottom cage is smelly because she won't use a litter box... Can I clean her cage (maybe carefully remove the mound)? Or should I just leave it alone? I use water and vinegar to wipe them out, nothing strong. She has been in the house for over a week, I'm not too worried she hasn't got a nest box but should I offer her one now?
Sigh... I'm prepared for the litters on Oct 30 because I planned them... but I have no idea if or when this new doe was bred (she came from a meat pen at one of the breeders I told you (MaggieJ) I'd be visiting).

I'd definitely clean the cage and give her a nest box. What I meant was, don't do extra handling to tame her down until you see if she is pregnant. But you can certainly do normal maintenance. If her "nest" is clean, just put it in the nest box. If it's soiled, give her some new nesting materials and hope she pulls more fur.

I agree with Maggie,
but if any of the fur is clean, save it
and place it in the freshly cleaned cage and nestbox.
I hope you have a nice sized litter.
Ottersatin

I would still continue trying to pet her, rub behind the ears, shoulders etc. just don't pick her up. A clean cage is especially important at kindling time both to protect the kits from getting sick and to help prevent infections in the mother.

I saved the nest, and placed it on new clea hay in a big cardboard box she used to play in. Her attitude is so different now (she's been an angry, growling scratching cage lunger), I'm suspicious she may have had the kits already... she spent all afternoon yesturday grazing outside while I was busy (I have a large fenced yard, with every escape hole covered since my toy poodle likes to escape). When I found her to bring her in I saw a small pile of dirt pushed away from the patio at the shed. I've checked the small hole and couldn't feel anything other than dirt as far as my arm could reach, and saw no hair at the entrance... Hmmm... worried.
I'll keep checking on her a few times a day.

That burrow is a little worrisome. I'd take her out (as soon as the rain stops) and place her a couple of feet away from the hole. If she immediately goes in and stays for maybe 5 minutes, she could have kits down there. Take some hay or straw out and see if she starts taking it into the hole or using it to close off the entrance. Don't leave her out there unattended though. You want to know what she is up to.

If you are using a cardboard box as a nest box indoors, be sure to anchor it well to the side of the cage to avoid tipping. Kits could be injured or killed if the box tips when momma is hopping in or out.

The box is wedged into the cage very tight, I'm not worried about it tipping. And she is pulling more hair, lots of it.
I put her in front of the hole, and she was somewhat interested, but sine I had used tools to dig around and then pushed the dirt back in before I noticed the nest in her cage, she wasn't going inside the hole. I've tried prying the wood off the patio, but, of course, my pry bar is missing...
Well, I have to go check on her again.<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:15 am __________<br /><br />Well, hubby pried the boards up, and I found nothing beneath the shed porch... and Queen Bitchy Bitch (sorry, that's her name... she's mean, it was either that or Roast) is still pulling hair. I read on a thread resently that someone had a Cal nest for 10 days before kindling... so this would be day 5 for her. I look at the nest a few times a day, no movement yet, but more hair gets added almost everyday. She is eating lots,, and drinking lots. The wait is killing me, though...

Have you felt inside the nest?
My doe built her nest 10 days before kindling but she didn't pull hair until they were born. I have a nest with 7 in it and you wouldn't know unless you reached in. My rabbits are outside so she keeps them deep. If they were inside I would have to remove some hair so they wouldn't be to hot.
I can't wait to hear what happens for you. Fingers crossed.

Well, I braved her wrath, and felt the nest... no warm spots, just hay and hair.
But, when I went into the laundryroom to check her cage I noticed red/orange spotting on the linoleum. Not the usual red/orange pee puddle Pepper makes when she misses the litter box, but a trail of spots, like my poodle had when she was in heat. Do rabbits spot before they kindle? This is day 28 for Pepper's first litter. No nest has been picked out yet (there are multiple hiding spots and boxes), and no hair has been pulled.

All the different hides have been checked... lots of nesting going on, but no wiggly babies yet. Queen Bitchy Bitch is adding shredded paper to her nest, and tops it up with new hair daily. Pepper has a circle of hay and had begun adding bits of paper from her digging box, too, but no hair yet. Her due date is Oct 30. I can't WAIT :)

__________ Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:59 am __________

Still no babies. She is sleeping/resting much more though. And bitter that I keep invading her space to check the nest. Today is the day for Pepper... if Thumper was able to do the deed. She is not fat... just lean. But the umbilical hurnia hasn't been as visable lately.<br /><br />__________ Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:27 am __________<br /><br />After trick-or-treating with the kids and getting them off to bed I checked on Queen Bitchy Bitch, and found 8 squirmy little babies! 8! No dead kits in the nest box, all were fat and warm and a little bigger than I expected. Birthing has done nothing for her dispossition though... she's still the same growling, snorting, cage lunger she's always been.

Oops, I spoke too soon... she crushed the biggest one in the night... and the runt is skinney. I'll try to sit her in my lap and get the kit to suckle a few times a day. Arg! It was a nice dark coloured kit she smushed!

sorry about the loss...

hoping the rest get fine along... if/when you get a chance.. we´d love pics of the cuties...

I want pics, too! I know how you feel about speaking too soon, I had a litter of eight and two have died so far. One crawled out of the nest and froze, and I think my toddler squshed the other one to death. :(

Latest posts

Back