I don't even LIKE kittens... [Update]

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
But this little kit needed some help. So I guess I have a bottle baby now. Not sure if I'm just fostering or keeping. I think it's around 2 weeks old.
I really don't like kittens. At least, not real young ones. :x lol They're smelly, gross, annoying, delicate...and too eager to use their claws.
Funny thing is, she looks a lot like my original bottle baby, Babe. :oops: Babe was probably just a few days older than this kit when I got her.

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0713.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 852
Last time I said no more cats this pile of roadkill on the center line looked at me and I had to turn around. Guess she got dropped by her mom crossing the road. Either her mom got hit or she wandered just far enough to get knocked around but not killed before huddling in the center of a highway. Didn't think she'd make it with blood coming out of her anus and a rock indent in her head. Vet said there was nothing to do but supportive care. She lived several years happy but always a bit off in the head and eventually developed health problems that we had to put her down for.

Finding live cats on the road has always been one of my nightmares. :x Mainly started after my sister found kittens in boxes a handful of times on the highway - ever since then, I get uneasy every time I see a box on or near the road.

Here I told myself the next cat I got would be something fancy and purebred. :?

Bengal cats have come back into consideration. Possibly even 1 queen to breed. That'll be years though and we will have to test the condition of my husband's cat allergy to see if it can be managed in our new house.

Does anyone know if cat upper respiratory infections are contagious to rabbits? My niece decided to try and rescue a kitten and it's face was all crusted up. When I saw it, all I could think (aside from 'poor thing') was "stay the hell away from my rabbits!!!" :x

Look at that sweet lil face! No way you could resist that, Nyctra.

BTW, I love the interesting markings on Babe's front feet. I imagine she is most unimpressed by having the kitten in her house.

Suzie, I don't know if the rabbits could catch a respiratory ailment from a cat, but in your place I would treat the situation as though they could. Better safe than sorry.

MaggieJ":3j8vidtp said:
Look at that sweet lil face! No way you could resist that, Nyctra.

BTW, I love the interesting markings on Babe's front feet. I imagine she is most unimpressed by having the kitten in her house.

Suzie, I don't know if the rabbits could catch a respiratory ailment from a cat, but in your place I would treat the situation as though they could. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought too. She came over to visit us a couple of days ago and, as far as I know, had not had any contact with the infected kitten for a day, but I told them they had to wash up before they could go near the rabbits anyway.

Bottle feeding young kittens like that always cracks me up- the way they get all frantic with their front paws trying to get a good grip on the bottle and then growling viciously lest it think of getting away! :p

What a little cutie! You know you will fall in love, Nyctra! :mrgreen: Bottle fed kittens make spectacular pets. One of my best cats EVER was one that I fed from just a few days old. :)

MaggieJ":5mkupjus said:
Suzie, I don't know if the rabbits could catch a respiratory ailment from a cat, but in your place I would treat the situation as though they could.

:yeahthat:

Suggest a chamomile tea and organic honey eyewash for the little guy.

I have some puppies right now, and a couple of weeks ago one had a bit of green mucous on one eye.

I brewed up an eyewash for it using Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime tea (we were out of straight chamomile- *Gasp*!!!) and a dollop of organic honey. One treatment and it was cured! :p

The case was very minor, but I wonder if the other ingredients in the tea were helpful?

Chamomile
Spearmint
Lemongrass
Tilia flowers (whatever those are!)
Blackberry leaves
Orange blossoms
Hawthorn
Rosebuds

I thought maybe the vitamin C content was a factor (mistakenly reading rose hips, not rose buds), but the nutrient analysis only lists calories, fat, sodium, carbs, sugars, and protein- all with a value of 0... so I dunno. :shrug:

MamaSheepdog":276g0i1z said:
Suggest a chamomile tea and organic honey eyewash for the little guy.

I have some puppies right now, and a couple of weeks ago one had a bit of green mucous on one eye.

I brewed up an eyewash for it using Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime tea (we were out of straight chamomile- *Gasp*!!!) and a dollop of organic honey. One treatment and it was cured! :p

The case was very minor, but I wonder if the other ingredients in the tea were helpful?

Chamomile
Spearmint
Lemongrass
Tilia flowers (whatever those are!)
Blackberry leaves
Orange blossoms
Hawthorn
Rosebuds

I thought maybe the vitamin C content was a factor (mistakenly reading rose hips, not rose buds), but the nutrient analysis only lists calories, fat, sodium, carbs, sugars, and protein- all with a value of 0... so I dunno. :shrug:

I would, but she gave the kitten to someone else to take care of (thankfully). I don't know if it was beyond saving though. I saw it, briefly. Its entire face looked matted and crusted over... it was hunched up and gasping... and mewing pitifully. Ugh. I didn't get close enough to touch it, but I told them that the kitten wouldn't live long like that and it either needed to be in the care of someone who could give it the attention it needs, or it should be put out of its misery. Poor thing.

Susie570":qynxgmfm said:
I don't know if it was beyond saving though. I saw it, briefly. Its entire face looked matted and crusted over... it was hunched up and gasping...

Oh. :cry: Poor thing. That's a bit too far advanced for the tea treatment.

The gross goobery faces of most of the kittens I've seen is the biggest turn-off for me. Thankfully, this baby's face seems pretty clean, and I'm not seeing fleas popping off left and right.
I think it's female. She looks so much like Babe; just lacks the rings in her white... Even has a tiny splash between her eyes. :lol: A photo of Babe as a kitten for comparison:
tumblr_nag3r2IA2u1r8hd2io1_500.jpg

__________ Wed May 06, 2015 10:04 am __________

No names have really clicked yet...doesn't help I'm not certain if its male or female. Anyone good at sexing kittens?

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_0931.jpg
    IMG_0931.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 776
She often cries to be let out of her crate/nest, then cries even MORE because I'm not another cat and I won't let her go looking for one or give her milk yet. So between crying and trying to wander off, she spends the time chewing and clawing up my hands, swearing there's a nipple there somewhere... :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Sat May 09, 2015 2:10 pm __________ <br /><br /> I'm calling her Java...she's gone from 8.4oz to 10.?oz since Monday.
Now today, my dad's volunteered me to take care of two of her brothers too. :? They're big, but boney and goopy.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 746
You can really tell the difference between the one that you have been taking care of and the other two. .as much as I hate being volunteered ..they are better off with you..good luck bottle feeding three..better start recruiting some help :p

They're all doing good so far! :D

cmfarm":1wnu18nr said:
The kitten looks like a boy to me.
After having her brothers to compare her with...I'm pretty sure it's a she now. XD

She's a cutie pie. I hate cats personally, they pee everywhere, claw everything, get all over your car, and leave prints everywhere. :x But 2 years ago we got 4 tiny babies that were 2wks. Found homes for all but one. He refused to come out of hiding when people would come over. :p So he stayed. At least he catches mice, and moles. He has his moments when you say "Ah how cute." and then the next seconds "#^^&*& :evil: :twisted: $@%$^*".

But he's our boy.
007 (400x300).jpg

Back