I am assuming mites... thoughts?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just noticed this at what I would call the nape of the neck on one of my does. She hasn't had contact with any other rabbit, so it's not a bite. It's just behind the ears, in the fold. Maybe yeast/fungal? Mites? Not sure. I wouldn't have noticed it had the fur not had that little bit of tinging. The spot I saw looked to be about the size of a quarter. Not sure to try Blue Kote or DE - maybe both? I have Ivermectin and PenG as well (assuming they are not expired).

mites.jpg

Do you use water bottles? Wondering if she is lying by it and getting wet.

That location -- just below the back of the neck -- is a common site for fur mites (the rabbit can't get at it), but the skin looks angrier than I would expect with a moderate infestation of fur mites. Could be a fungal infection. A couple drops of oil of lavender in a carrier oil may help . . . I understand it is one of the essential oils effective against fungal skin infections.

See, that's what I was trying to decide. I had a buck with fur mites (in the same spot!) and it didn't look quite this nasty so that's what made me wonder if it might be something else... just didn't know what. No waterbottle, just a rubber bowl for water. I couldn't quite tell if the darker was dried blood or... something else. It was really hard to tell what was going on... especially with not too great lighting (they are under heavy shade from the trees - great for heat, not so great for visuals). I do have lavender oil! And some different carrier oils - olive, avocado, apricot, coconut.

My suggestion is to add 2-3 drops of lavender oil to 1 tablespoon of one of the carrier oils... my preference would be olive oil, but any of them would likely work. Whether it is fur mites or a fungal infection, this should effectively treat it, stopping the fungus or smothering the mites.

If, for some reason, it does not seem to help after two or three applications. I suggest you update this thread and ask for other advice.

If it does work, I hope you will post about it so that we can add this to the collective knowledge of easy fixes to common problems.

Sounds like a good plan - Thanks Maggie! I like the forms of treatment that cover multiple options and won't hurt a thing if they don't happen to work (I am not a medication person at.all. - I have the two on hand thanks to my lack of knowledge when first buying rabbits - pre-RT - and dealing with some not so fun stuff).

Latest posts

Back