hypothetically ... lets talk chickens ...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brody

Reaction score
If you were going to keep 3 hens over the winter

(in a place chickens weren't really allowed - lets say just for fun)

in a place that has snow and can get fairly cold at times but usually isn't too bad

how big a space would you give them?

do you have to heat it?

would they just stay inside on snowy days?

OR - anybody want three lovely but moulting buckeye chickens?

Brody":1ebm5onb said:
anybody want three lovely but moulting buckeye chickens?

They're moulting AGAIN???? :?

As far as wintering goes... My first 3 hens were kept in a moveable coop made of 1/4 inch plywood. It was a 4' x 3' run (hardware cloth) with a 3'x3' wooden box (plywood and 2x2) on one end. I built walls out of straw bales around 3 sides a little higher than the coop stood, then put a tarp over the whole thing. The 4th side was open but faced the house about 2 feet away from the wall. The three hens seemed quite happy in there -- they laid eggs the whole winter. The whole thing sat just outside the bathroom window so I could watch them scratching around. I used deep bedding and just moved the whole thing in the spring.

Just saw Moonkitten's post. She's got a great idea there... but since I'd already written what is below, I'll post it anyway.

It should not be too difficult to keep them. They don't need heating, per se, as long as they are well protected from the wind and snow. They do need liquid water, but a heated dog dish would work. (I figure you won't be there all day to do warm water runs.) Maybe one of those cute chicken arks with the "house" above or beside the little run. A window on the south side for light and passive solar heat.

They probably won't come out much once the snow flies, except on a really nice sunny day. If you can put them on the south side of your house where they will get sun, that would be nicest for them and they may venture forth a bit more often. Make sure you have an easy way to clean out their house, because they will still poop all day long.

If it doesn't come together and you need a place for them, let me know.

The one I"m building now (hopefully completed this week!) is a 4x8 run with a 4x4 coop three feet high. It's actually part of the run but it's two feet off the ground so they can go underneath it and have some shade. That should be plenty big enough for three chickens. Hopefully it will be satisfactory for my future feathery residents and get them through the winter comfortably. Maybe I'll put it up close to the house so I can plug in a heated dog dish. When I"m finished that I"m going to work on my outside rabbit run. I"m counting on getting laid off this winter so I'll be able to keep an eye on the critters outside.

where the chickens aren't going to live in the winter ;)
they can have access to a well fenced yard on nice days ...

so basically a big box protected well from wind would do?

the two never really stopped moulting ... Bandy has been laying eggs up til this week but nothing for 4 days now ... about 16 eggs maybe in total ;)

great ideas - thanks

Maggie - I'm torn - if you'd like 3 more hens let me know ;) and I'll let you know if I get crazy with them

I'm away 4 nights this week and worried about them so I guess I'll bring them with me - the cats, parrts and rabbits will be fine I know but I can't figure out how to get the chickens enough water cleanly to be sure they'll be ok ...

Brody, I have 2 one-gallon chicken waterers that I am not using. Let me know if they would help while you are away. They keep the water pretty clean if you set them on a cement block.

I can take the hens if things don't work out for you, but I think it would be great if you can keep them yourself. You enjoy them so much. If you have a good fenced yard it will be a piece of cake to make them a suitable house. A box with a south window for light and winter sun-baths (they love that) and a roost and nest box and they'll be happy. :)

I think the trick to keeping small numbers of chickens over the winter is to make the "box" area small. They do tend to sleep huddled together so they share body heat. A smallish box area will hold that heat in better.

Brody, I'm sorry that they aren't laying better. All three of my remaining hens seem to be laying well. I'm getting at least an egg a day and two of these hens are over 4 years old! I guess I should have given you the OLD girls instead of the 2 year old buckeyes :(

HAHAHA - Mk - np - I have confidence they will lay well again ... silly hens
I hadn't realized how spoiled I was last summer with 3 eggs every 2 days from 2 hens though ... :)
and they are the sweetest birds EVAH!!

Should I give them a smallish box inside a larger area for cold miserable days?

Man I can worry about nothing eh?

__________ Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:36 pm __________

HEY????

what about a large dog crate - solid sided ... I have LOTS of those and it would save me building - I could make a frame around the outside of it and insulated between frame and crate with straw or paper??<br /><br />__________ Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:36 pm __________<br /><br />HEY????

what about a large dog crate - solid sided ... I have LOTS of those and it would save me building - I could make a frame around the outside of it and insulated between frame and crate with straw or paper??

Latest posts

Back