hutch colony, weather proofing suggestions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
Ok so i am getting 11 guinea pigs this weekend. At least 2 were mine before.. And i am stoppin another persons to look at some and fingers crossed trade a boar or two :) My big hutch i have will be their new digs. Problem is its not "mine" really... the floor is wood unfortunately.

So #1: Do ya think i could make do for this winter just buyin some of cheap by-the-ft-sq linoleum pieces and doing deep bedding on it? I just need to keep as much poo and urine from it as possible. BUT i cant really fit in the whole thing to manuever and a small door. So it has to fit in a fairly small door and be put in place. Which i think i can do with lino squares probably.

#2: i may buy a roll of that sheeting ya buy to cover board stacks while building. Do a couple layers then deep bedding over it.

#3: i will need to nail some of the sheeting around the wired outside part of it to keep out snow and rain. I have some lathe boards to help nail it properly without just ripping and stabbing holes.
How to decide how much to leave open at the top (and/or holes cut around) for good air circulation while still keepin out wind and weather.

#4: I am trying to figure out what would be a good bulk feeder for them that i could make and adapt... For smallish bowl spot and large bulk feeder above. So they arent pooping all in the bowl parts and cant hop in the top like a regular j feeder.

#5: seriously considering just tryin some cheap chick waterers and set em like in pans to keep from frozen pond all over if spilled etc. There has to be something better though... ?? Without investing a bunch $$$ for autowatering. And would be great if it could work and keep from freezing!
Lol.... hey a girl can dream right?

I loved the thread in other animals section with the woven and thatch guinea pig huts. Thats totally on the to-try list.

Any suggestions or questions etc very welcome :) <br /><br /> __________ Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:19 pm __________ <br /><br /> Anyone?

#1 - as long as you're not trying to keep all the poo/pee off the floor, I think that might work. Not really familiar with GP's so I don't know how they'll affect the squares.

#3 - I don't know what the hutch looks like so I can't really advise much on that. I'm going to assume 18" so I'd leave at least 1" - 2" gap at the top for air circulation. With my new colony set up, I plan on leaving about 6" on the top open, but it's also about 6' 6" tall. :)

#4 - I've seen video's on youtube that use a bucket with PVC pipe coming out the bottom with a "Y" or a "J" fitting at the end of the pipe. It's been a while since I've watched them (years actually) but maybe you can do a search. :)

#5 - Again, youtube! LOL Have seen plenty of vids where people build some sort of "box" and install a lamp kit with a low to medium watt bulb in it, then place the waterer on the top. Actually, the most recent one I saw, the lady used old cookie tins.

Hope this points you in the direction you're wanting to go and sorry I couldn't be more help! I know it can be frustrating needing (or at least feeling like you need) confirmation/direction and not getting it!

Good luck and keep us posted on how it works out for ya.

Are there many political signs where you live? You can salvage them after election day and use them to weather proof. Better than them using up dump space.

Back