Who was in the wood pile???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currituckbun

Reaction score
I have a reluctant breeder doe- ( cross white new zealand/cali mix). She clamps her butt to the cage floor and refuses to participate. I tell you this because I bred her to all three of my bucks last time. She is worth keeping because she is a good mom and has nice kits. My question is who is the father??? All of the kits are jet black!!
The bucks I have are a cross white new zealand/cali mix ,a white new zealand, and a blue silver fox. I am thinking it is not the first because all of the previous kits were from him and they were either cali looking or white new zealand looking. I thought white recessive was impossible to throw a black kit so I thought he was out too. So that leaves the blue silver fox. But...I thought he was recessive too. Pure blue silver fox are not black but blue grey when born so who is the baby daddy???
Going out to take pics. :hmm:
gallery/image.php?album_id=74&image_id=582 mom
gallery/image.php?album_id=74&image_id=579 kits
gallery/image.php?album_id=74&image_id=583 kit close up
gallery/image.php?album_id=74&image_id=581 contestant #1 blue silver fox
gallery/image.php?album_id=74&image_id=580 contestant #2 new zealand white
father #3 looks the same as mom.<br /><br />__________ Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:46 pm __________<br /><br />OOPs I should have put this in genetics. Maggie how do I move it or can you.

well I know with my mini's if I breed a REW with a normal color the kits will be normal color but carry the REW gene, having said that

REW masks all of the color in the REW rabbit, so they can actually be any color under the REW gene,
REW - REW = REW
REW - Normal = Normal but REW carrier
REW - REW carrier = some REW / some REW carriers
REW carrier - Normal = all REW carriers

Black is dominant over blue so,
Black - Black = black
black - blue = black dilute carrier
black - blue dilute carrier = some black / some blue
blue - blue = blue
blue - blue dilute carrier = some black/some blue

I found this site very useful in explaining it hope it helps www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/

I'd say it's the silver fox. He must have a full color C gene to show blue, but he gets blue by having a double dilute gene working on a black gene. You're right that neither of your white bucks nor the doe could have a full color C gene, so the fox is the only way to get full color in any of the kits.

Black instead of blue merely means that none of the kits inherited a double dilute gene. They each got a non-dilute gene from their mother to cover up the dilute gene they must get from their fox father.

So, now you know that all of the kits are B_C_Dd. And you know that underneath her white coat, your doe is D_.

Sounds like a case that should be on the Jerry Springer Show! :lol: As for all the genetic stuff, I have absolutely NO idea. But I would say the Silver fox, From the previous posts. Good luck! :bunnyhop:

Wow. I think I get it. I figured it was the silver fox. But it is interesting that the doe is a dark coat carrier.
On another note our own children both have blue eyes and my husband and I both have brown. We are both Bb and our kids are bb. We never thought we would have blue eyed children.

currituckbun":tsixxq69 said:
We are both Bb and our kids are bb. We never thought we would have blue eyed children.
:lol: I have hazel eyes, my mom has brown, my dad had hazel. My husband's eyes are blue(the steely-grey variety). You would think by looking at his family that blue eyes are dominant. They seem to overpower all other eye color genes. They all have blue eyes, and their kids have blue eyes -- no matter what color eyes their spouses have. Shay's youngest sister married a black gentleman, and when their son was born, I thought for sure those blue eyes would never win out over the strong espresso eyes most black people have. Nope -- blue eyes! I couldn't believe it. They'd change by the time he was two, though, right? Nope. :lol:

Devon's Mom Lauren":3pwth4f9 said:
Your doe is black or dense because it shows in her "points". Some of those kits may also get some silvering later on which I guess would be the "icing" on the cake lol

Oh that would be nice. They may just be real meaty too. I will keep you all posted. This doe has the meatiest kits. She has earned her spot in the rabbitry because of that one reason. Just a pain to breed her.

Have you considered "helping" your bucks ? I had a Rex does who was a wonderful show rabbit but would never willingly breed. An older fella at a rabbit show suggested helping the bucks, basicly you just hold you doe with her head towards you with you hand on her shoulders and as the buck approaches you slide your hand under her tummy and push her back legs slightly up and back , be gentle so you don't hurt or scare her and your back can service her quickly and efficiently.

Latest posts

Back