How to tell if rabbit has worms?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Bunny-Wan Kenobi told me today that there were worms in the poo under Pinto's cage (young buck, one of Thumper & Pearl's kits). I haven't had a chance to take a really good look yet.

He also told me, though, that he can't reach to sweep all the poo out from under the cage. So I had thought that all the bunny berries I saw were new, but now I don't think they are.

So I'm not sure if he is right, and Pinto has worms, or if the "worms" are actually maggots from flies laying eggs in the poo. How can I be certain Pinto does or does not have worms? He's supposed to go soon to be a pet bun on a small farm. :) I don't want to send him there with worms, certainly!

get some panacur and treat them all. it's really easy and costs next to nothing. .05 cc/lb.

Worms are little white lines through the poop. it's the females that come out to breathe.

By all means treat them if necessary, but I'd take a close look and see if the creepy crawlies are worms or maggots. I don't personally like dosing rabbits unless absolutely necessary. If you are fairly confident that it is a maggot problem, you could still feed raw pumpkin seeds (which are a healthy food for rabbits) as a bit of insurance against intestinal worms.

Okay... now that we are back, I'll go take a look. I have some Ivermectin somewhere that I can use if they are worms, but I really, REALLY hope they aren't! There is a store just around the corner that should have raw pumpkin seeds.

Back