how to stop fouling the shelter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user4482

Reaction score
I have a mature doe living in a moveable pen that has a run area of a bit over 6ftx4ft with a shelter at the end a bit over 4ft wide 3 high and 2 deep and I use old newspapers on the floor. She used to be quite clean only occasionally chewing up some of the paper or dragging it out into the run but after she had a litter of kits, once they were about 3 weeks old and starting to explore she started pooping and peeing in the shelter. At first it was only a little bit but the problem quickly increased to the point of where she seems to specifically use the shelter as a toilet often ducking in there for a few seconds then reappearing and when I check.. there's fresh pee or poop in there. It also seems like the kits started to copy her and the shelter is just a mess all the time.

Any suggestion as to why she's such a filthy cow and how to stop her.

You could try blocking off her access to the shelter for a while so that she is forced to pick a new "potty spot". If it is the only place protected from the sun/wind/rain I would put a tarp or something over part of the run to provide protection.

Another option would be to take the solid bottom off of the shelter and replace with wire so the urine and droppings fall through to the ground.

I have a ute tarp over the run for shade, cant take the bottom off the shelter its all marine ply with the axle and wheels attached to the floor of the shelter and no decent options to otherwise secure them.

I can shut her out of the shelter and might resort to doing that for a while because its summer here and the run is shaded.

They have nappies for dogs, pity they didn't have them for bunnies too.

Thanks for your thoughts and help with this bad bunny

Back