Register

How to stop a predator???

Keeping your rabbits safe from predatory animals, pests, and people.
Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#31  Unread postby TheChad » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:16 am


DoodlebugMania wrote:Realizing that everyone's situation is different (regarding town vs country living, proximity of neighbors, willingness to use forceful protection methods, etc), I won't offer advice, just a statement. Hubby and I live in the boonies so to speak, and if we begin having issues with predators, wild or otherwise, we'll get a pair of Pyrenees. I had some when living in Texas and never, ever had a problem. They would even dispatch snakes in the yard. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your situation. I know how frustrating it can be.


That might be a good idea, but I don't want a dog. Although I do see the benefit. Not enough room to really have one where I am. Plus I don't want the same issues, since I don't have an area to fence one in.

I did catch a cat last night. Per protocol, it was released. Seemed pretty happy to get out of there too. lol

I put a fresh can of dog food in the trap. So maybe this evening I will get something.

1 year of membership
User avatar
Posts: 19
Joined: February 8, 2017
Location: South MS
United States of America Female
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 2 in 2 posts
BunnyBucks: 110.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#32  Unread postby DoodlebugMania » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:33 am


I can understand that, different situations, etc. We are on 80 acres next to national forrest, so plenty of room for us.

I did read an article on diy repellent spray made from hot peppers and onions I think it was, but not sure how the smell would affect people, buns, etc.
Add a little of this, a little of that, you get a simply happy southern girl :)

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#33  Unread postby TheChad » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:11 am


DoodlebugMania wrote:I can understand that, different situations, etc. We are on 80 acres next to national forrest, so plenty of room for us.

I did read an article on diy repellent spray made from hot peppers and onions I think it was, but not sure how the smell would affect people, buns, etc.


That isn't a bad idea. Any chance you have the link? I will search for it myself.

1 year of membership
User avatar
Posts: 19
Joined: February 8, 2017
Location: South MS
United States of America Female
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 2 in 2 posts
BunnyBucks: 110.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#34  Unread postby DoodlebugMania » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:23 am


I read it on one of the chicken forums I was browsing after having issues with a few of my chickens. If you google DIY predator repellent, it should come up close to the top of the list, if not at the top. Sorry I don't have the direct link.
Add a little of this, a little of that, you get a simply happy southern girl :)

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#35  Unread postby TheChad » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:38 am


DoodlebugMania wrote:I read it on one of the chicken forums I was browsing after having issues with a few of my chickens. If you google DIY predator repellent, it should come up close to the top of the list, if not at the top. Sorry I don't have the direct link.


I found this and may consider it. I know heat peppers don't bother chickens as far consuming them goes, but I don't know about rabbits. Even if it wasn't in the cage. I don't want them breathing it either.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/769828/homemade-predator-repellant

1 year of membership
User avatar
Posts: 19
Joined: February 8, 2017
Location: South MS
United States of America Female
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 2 in 2 posts
BunnyBucks: 110.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#36  Unread postby DoodlebugMania » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:58 am


That is the one I read. Not sure how or if it would affect the bunnies though. Can possibly be modified for your particular situation though.

It isn't overly nice, but I wonder if something similar to bear spikes might work? Hubby was watching some documentary on Alaska, and some of the people put spiked mats/boards out to keep bears off the porch.
Add a little of this, a little of that, you get a simply happy southern girl :)

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#37  Unread postby TheChad » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:46 am


DoodlebugMania wrote:That is the one I read. Not sure how or if it would affect the bunnies though. Can possibly be modified for your particular situation though.

It isn't overly nice, but I wonder if something similar to bear spikes might work? Hubby was watching some documentary on Alaska, and some of the people put spiked mats/boards out to keep bears off the porch.


Those will go over great with the two year old. lol My wife would kill me. My luck it would be me that stepped on them.

1 year of membership
User avatar
Posts: 19
Joined: February 8, 2017
Location: South MS
United States of America Female
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 2 in 2 posts
BunnyBucks: 110.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#38  Unread postby DoodlebugMania » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:51 am


Oops. Missed the part about kids. My "baby" is 15, so I forget about little ones.
Add a little of this, a little of that, you get a simply happy southern girl :)

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#39  Unread postby TheChad » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:58 am


Well I finally have a good update. Got home last night to find the trap had worked. I got one of the dogs that has been traveling in the pack. I didn't check the game camera to see if the other dogs were around the cage when he was trapped. It was really cold and he was shivering so I went ahead and ended things quickly. He was the dog seen in the last pictures in the distance. There were no tags or collar. He had destroyed the rabbit toy in the cage.

I have no issues killing when it is for food, but this is the first time I have had to take out an animal myself that was causing harm. Never easy.

I think the hay in the bottom was a real help. I set the trap back up and hoping to have more soon. Ready to be done with this situation.

Trapped.JPG
Trapped.JPG (119.1 KiB) Viewed 1320 times

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
User avatar
Posts: 697
Joined: August 18, 2016
Location: Amherstburg, Ontario
Canada Female
Thanks: 141
Thanked: 141 in 131 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#40  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:52 am


One down ... two more to go.....

Was this the "aggressive" one?
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#41  Unread postby TheChad » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:40 pm


SarniaTricia wrote:One down ... two more to go.....

Was this the "aggressive" one?


He was part of the aggressive pack that stalked us, but he is not the pit bull mix that is my number one target.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1882
Joined: May 11, 2015
Location: NC
United States of America Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 197 in 184 posts
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#42  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:45 pm


Whew! Here's hoping it will all be over with soon!

We just had a predator issue with a dog. I lost a guinea a while back, and a couple of chickens have vanished. I had my suspicions, but no proof - and for a while the dog in particular wasn't coming around. Yesterday morning I hit the ground running (almost quite literally) when I heard a very odd squawk from a chicken. Caught our neighbors dog in the act. Unfortunately he already got to one of my only 2 guineas left :cry: and had my only rooster in his mouth (normally people wouldn't feel much pain if it were a rooster, but his dad was amazing, and he inherited those genetics... mild mannered, not at all aggressive towards us). The trail of rooster feathers started just feet from where the guinea was buried (yeah, the dingbat buried my guinea in one of the kids garden beds :evil: if it weren't for a single feather that caught my eye I wouldn't have found it for a while - the mass amt of feathers were in another part of the yard) - I am thinking he was back there in the mix when he had the guinea. I got as many chickens as I could in the coop, by the time we got home he had figured out a way into the run and gotten another one. I was pi$$ed so say the least - so angry I was sick to my stomach. DH went to talk to the owner's dad and he said he would let them know, he told them they "didn't need no dog" that they were nothing but trouble. The owner came by a little while later to apologize and offer to pay for the ones killed. He is now penned up and they are shopping for an electric fence. Thankfully they weren't afraid to admit to his wrongdoing, and commented that "If it had been Jimmy (DH's gpa) that found him I know he would have just shot him" - he knows the ropes around here. He did say the dog had come home with a badly injured leg a while back so I am wondering if he has already gotten familiar with a gun. I was taking practice shots on walnuts, just in case :twisted: . He said his wife thought she saw white feathers in his mouth the other day - I told him that would be from someone else, I don't have white chickens :x . Could have been some of the underfeathers (whatever they are called), but if nothing else, maybe that one comment will spread the options if he does get out and "disappear" - it won't be tied as directly to me.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#43  Unread postby TheChad » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:01 pm


FourRingCircus wrote:Whew! Here's hoping it will all be over with soon!

We just had a predator issue with a dog. I lost a guinea a while back, and a couple of chickens have vanished. I had my suspicions, but no proof - and for a while the dog in particular wasn't coming around. Yesterday morning I hit the ground running (almost quite literally) when I heard a very odd squawk from a chicken. Caught our neighbors dog in the act. Unfortunately he already got to one of my only 2 guineas left :cry: and had my only rooster in his mouth (normally people wouldn't feel much pain if it were a rooster, but his dad was amazing, and he inherited those genetics... mild mannered, not at all aggressive towards us). The trail of rooster feathers started just feet from where the guinea was buried (yeah, the dingbat buried my guinea in one of the kids garden beds :evil: if it weren't for a single feather that caught my eye I wouldn't have found it for a while - the mass amt of feathers were in another part of the yard) - I am thinking he was back there in the mix when he had the guinea. I got as many chickens as I could in the coop, by the time we got home he had figured out a way into the run and gotten another one. I was pi$$ed so say the least - so angry I was sick to my stomach. DH went to talk to the owner's dad and he said he would let them know, he told them they "didn't need no dog" that they were nothing but trouble. The owner came by a little while later to apologize and offer to pay for the ones killed. He is now penned up and they are shopping for an electric fence. Thankfully they weren't afraid to admit to his wrongdoing, and commented that "If it had been Jimmy (DH's gpa) that found him I know he would have just shot him" - he knows the ropes around here. He did say the dog had come home with a badly injured leg a while back so I am wondering if he has already gotten familiar with a gun. I was taking practice shots on walnuts, just in case :twisted: . He said his wife thought she saw white feathers in his mouth the other day - I told him that would be from someone else, I don't have white chickens :x . Could have been some of the underfeathers (whatever they are called), but if nothing else, maybe that one comment will spread the options if he does get out and "disappear" - it won't be tied as directly to me.



Glad your neighbor took responsibility. Mine would have seen the dog with feathers in his mouth and said those aren't feathers and its not his dog I am seeing. But, luckily for you, you have a good neighbor. :runaround: :rant: :jedai:

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1882
Joined: May 11, 2015
Location: NC
United States of America Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 197 in 184 posts
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#44  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:08 pm


TheChad wrote:Glad your neighbor took responsibility. Mine would have seen the dog with feathers in his mouth and said those aren't feathers and its not his dog I am seeing. But, luckily for you, you have a good neighbor. :runaround: :rant: :jedai:


For sure - I am thankful it wasn't a big deal. We discussed keeping quite and SSS, but I had to carry their other dog from the road after it got hit by a car... his son was 3 or so at the time, made me feel awful... he wanted to pet "Chase" (who was dead - I told him he couldn't b/c he was pretty hurt... just laid him in the back of their pickup truck) and said something about "Marshall" (aka chicken killer) - didn't take me long to figure out he named them after Paw Patrol.

As for your neighbor in denial, if it's "not his dog," then I guess he doesn't have anything to be concerned about, huh? :roll: :twisted:
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#45  Unread postby TheChad » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:40 am


Well it happened again. This time it went through the area where I feed the rabbits. It killed two little ones and two escaped. I caught them and put them in a box in the basement. I am at the point where I am going to hunt him. No more waiting.

Unfortunately, I had pulled the game camera in last night because I wanted to see if the pit was with the other dog I captured. He was. I am looking in to the hot wire options. Only choice I can see at this point. I hate to do that since I feel I am close to killing it.

I am also considering killing one of the little rabbits that survived and baiting the cage with it. To try and get this animal. I honestly don't know what else to do. Sorry I am ranting, but I am about to blow a gasket here. Very, very upset. :evil: :storm-cloud: :rant: :rant: :wall: :furious: :gun: :bash: :annihilate: :2guns:

MFDC1773.JPG
MFDC1773.JPG (209.9 KiB) Viewed 1275 times

MFDC1775.JPG
MFDC1775.JPG (211.63 KiB) Viewed 1275 times

MFDC1778.JPG
MFDC1778.JPG (213.5 KiB) Viewed 1275 times


damage.JPG
The damage this morning
damage.JPG (57.1 KiB) Viewed 1275 times


-- Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:38 am --

FourRingCircus wrote:
TheChad wrote:Glad your neighbor took responsibility. Mine would have seen the dog with feathers in his mouth and said those aren't feathers and its not his dog I am seeing. But, luckily for you, you have a good neighbor. :runaround: :rant: :jedai:


For sure - I am thankful it wasn't a big deal. We discussed keeping quite and SSS, but I had to carry their other dog from the road after it got hit by a car... his son was 3 or so at the time, made me feel awful... he wanted to pet "Chase" (who was dead - I told him he couldn't b/c he was pretty hurt... just laid him in the back of their pickup truck) and said something about "Marshall" (aka chicken killer) - didn't take me long to figure out he named them after Paw Patrol.

As for your neighbor in denial, if it's "not his dog," then I guess he doesn't have anything to be concerned about, huh? :roll: :twisted:


Ya that is sad. My son just got in to paw patrol and it scares me that he likes dogs. No real fear there. I keep him right by side at all times out there.

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests