Register

How to stop a predator???

Keeping your rabbits safe from predatory animals, pests, and people.
Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1882
Joined: May 11, 2015
Location: NC
United States of America Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 197 in 184 posts
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#16  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:54 am


I was going to suggest SSS - I posted this in the chat session, but will repost it here: Long story semi-short: DH’s buddy at work had a couple dogs attach and kill a couple calves one night. He didn’t SSS. He shot, then placed a "found" ad in the paper with their description. After giving him their info they asked when they could get their dogs and he said "you can’t" and told them why. They wanted to know why he would put out the ad then. He told them he wanted to know who owed him for his livestock. They went to court, he won! It was a crazy enough story one of those TV courts wanted them on, but he declined.

alforddm wrote:We grew up with hot wire and all our our kids have. Ours is the horse fence, it only takes once and the kids learn not to touch it. They will cry of course but no permanent harm. It may sound harsh, but when the alternative is the possibility of their getting into the horse pasture and getting stepped on by a horse that thinks he's a big dog, the choice is clear (it does a good job keeping the horses in as well). They are not old enough to blame you either. Their anger is directed completely towards the fence.


Unless they are 9, then the anger gets directed back to you :roll: . ODS came in crying and blamed it all on me b/c I told him the fence wasn't on, so when he picked up the broken handle to try and put it back together, he got zapped. It was "all my fault." Well, when you "fix" the handle, you kind of "fix" the fence. He won't be going near it again anytime soon.

I was out fixing the fence lines one day and was too lazy to walk back to unhook the handle (mentioned above) to shut it off... I was doing just fine in my rubber boots and leather gloves UNTIL my knee hit the wet ground. POW! I have also accidentally brushed against it while mowing.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#17  Unread postby TheChad » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:59 am


FourRingCircus wrote:I was going to suggest SSS - I posted this in the chat session, but will repost it here: Long story semi-short: DH’s buddy at work had a couple dogs attach and kill a couple calves one night. He didn’t SSS. He shot, then placed a "found" ad in the paper with their description. After giving him their info they asked when they could get their dogs and he said "you can’t" and told them why. They wanted to know why he would put out the ad then. He told them he wanted to know who owed him for his livestock. They went to court, he won! It was a crazy enough story one of those TV courts wanted them on, but he declined.

alforddm wrote:We grew up with hot wire and all our our kids have. Ours is the horse fence, it only takes once and the kids learn not to touch it. They will cry of course but no permanent harm. It may sound harsh, but when the alternative is the possibility of their getting into the horse pasture and getting stepped on by a horse that thinks he's a big dog, the choice is clear (it does a good job keeping the horses in as well). They are not old enough to blame you either. Their anger is directed completely towards the fence.


Unless they are 9, then the anger gets directed back to you :roll: . ODS came in crying and blamed it all on me b/c I told him the fence wasn't on, so when he picked up the broken handle to try and put it back together, he got zapped. It was "all my fault." Well, when you "fix" the handle, you kind of "fix" the fence. He won't be going near it again anytime soon.

I was out fixing the fence lines one day and was too lazy to walk back to unhook the handle (mentioned above) to shut it off... I was doing just fine in my rubber boots and leather gloves UNTIL my knee hit the wet ground. POW! I have also accidentally brushed against it while mowing.



I saw in the chat where you said that. That is great. The dog did about $170 worth of damage. Honestly, just to be rid of that dog will be payment enough.

Down the road a hot wire might be a route I would go. I will check the prices and see what I can find.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 55
Joined: April 13, 2016
Location: Northern Minnesota
United States of America Female
Thanks: 25
Thanked: 3 in 2 posts
BunnyBucks: 392.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#18  Unread postby BelleVie » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:56 pm


I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my entire first colony last year (30 rabbits - 5 adults and 25 kits) to two of my neighbor's large dogs... similar in size to the ones on your camera. I had told them multiple times to keep their dogs tied up and for awhile it seemed to work. Unfortunately it didn't stay that way and while we were on vacation the dogs shredded a hole in my colony fence and instead of coming home to my favorite buns I came home to absolutely nothing...not even any bodies... it was horribly devastating for me and my kids. What pushed me over the edge was my daughters coming home from school saying that the neighbor kids told them they knew their dogs killed our rabbits because they found their 'skins' in their yard. ...I lost it... :!: :evil: :!:

I fb messaged my neighbor and told him as nicely as I could that I knew his dogs destroyed my rabbit pen (over $800 worth of rabbits and property) by his own kids' admission (and I told him what his kids told mine) and that he had better keep his dogs tied or I was going to shoot them the next time I saw them on my property. Needless to say he didn't respond but he has had his dogs successfully tied ever since.

I also significantly beefed up my pens. I use 2x4" hole field fence (welded wire) around all of my pens in addition to the smaller gauge because I know its dog proof. I also use dog kennels for my colony structure... perhaps you could put a kennel around the area you have your cages?

Again, I'm sorry for your loss and best of luck.

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#19  Unread postby TheChad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:11 pm


Wanted to give an update. I now have the trap setup. I put a stuffed rabbit toy in trap that was rubbed all over my rabbits. I put some droppings and food to give it the right smell. I also poured out a can of dog food in it. I caught a cat over the weekend, but let it go of course.

I put lattice around the bottom cages. The front lattice I mounted on a frame so I can drop it down to get to the rabbits. I put one of my females in the bottom since I breed her this weekend.

The dogs have been back a couple of times. I now have seen the pack of three together. The latest visit was them watching me cut a tree in the woods and then coming out when I did. They didn't let me know they were there. I just saw them as I was coming out. They then kept a distance watching me with the rabbits. They sat watching me pull the car in the garage and then sat outside it staring out me. It was very creepy the way they were stalking me.

So now they are all doomed as far as I am concerned. I am getting my dad's shotgun since it will give me better close range capabilities. My son has to stay on my hip now when we go outside. It is a horrible feeling to not feel safe when you go outside.

Here are a few pictures of the setup now.

image1.JPG
image1.JPG (152.95 KiB) Viewed 1414 times


image2.JPG
image2.JPG (152.81 KiB) Viewed 1414 times


image3.JPG
image3.JPG (163.56 KiB) Viewed 1414 times


image4.JPG
image4.JPG (195.51 KiB) Viewed 1414 times


image5.JPG
image5.JPG (151 KiB) Viewed 1414 times


-- Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:11 pm --

BelleVie wrote:I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my entire first colony last year (30 rabbits - 5 adults and 25 kits) to two of my neighbor's large dogs... similar in size to the ones on your camera. I had told them multiple times to keep their dogs tied up and for awhile it seemed to work. Unfortunately it didn't stay that way and while we were on vacation the dogs shredded a hole in my colony fence and instead of coming home to my favorite buns I came home to absolutely nothing...not even any bodies... it was horribly devastating for me and my kids. What pushed me over the edge was my daughters coming home from school saying that the neighbor kids told them they knew their dogs killed our rabbits because they found their 'skins' in their yard. ...I lost it... :!: :evil: :!:

I fb messaged my neighbor and told him as nicely as I could that I knew his dogs destroyed my rabbit pen (over $800 worth of rabbits and property) by his own kids' admission (and I told him what his kids told mine) and that he had better keep his dogs tied or I was going to shoot them the next time I saw them on my property. Needless to say he didn't respond but he has had his dogs successfully tied ever since.

I also significantly beefed up my pens. I use 2x4" hole field fence (welded wire) around all of my pens in addition to the smaller gauge because I know its dog proof. I also use dog kennels for my colony structure... perhaps you could put a kennel around the area you have your cages?

Again, I'm sorry for your loss and best of luck.



That is a terrible situation. I would have been furious as well.

-- Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:11 pm --

BelleVie wrote:I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my entire first colony last year (30 rabbits - 5 adults and 25 kits) to two of my neighbor's large dogs... similar in size to the ones on your camera. I had told them multiple times to keep their dogs tied up and for awhile it seemed to work. Unfortunately it didn't stay that way and while we were on vacation the dogs shredded a hole in my colony fence and instead of coming home to my favorite buns I came home to absolutely nothing...not even any bodies... it was horribly devastating for me and my kids. What pushed me over the edge was my daughters coming home from school saying that the neighbor kids told them they knew their dogs killed our rabbits because they found their 'skins' in their yard. ...I lost it... :!: :evil: :!:

I fb messaged my neighbor and told him as nicely as I could that I knew his dogs destroyed my rabbit pen (over $800 worth of rabbits and property) by his own kids' admission (and I told him what his kids told mine) and that he had better keep his dogs tied or I was going to shoot them the next time I saw them on my property. Needless to say he didn't respond but he has had his dogs successfully tied ever since.

I also significantly beefed up my pens. I use 2x4" hole field fence (welded wire) around all of my pens in addition to the smaller gauge because I know its dog proof. I also use dog kennels for my colony structure... perhaps you could put a kennel around the area you have your cages?

Again, I'm sorry for your loss and best of luck.



That is a terrible situation. I would have been furious as well.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
User avatar
Posts: 697
Joined: August 18, 2016
Location: Amherstburg, Ontario
Canada Female
Thanks: 141
Thanked: 141 in 131 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#20  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 pm


Looks good Chad... and yes, I'd be gunning for animals acting like that!
They are making a pack and acting like wild dogs... that's a good excuse to "end" them!!!!

(although, I's want to still add a hot wire at cattle strength and wait to see them find it, then "end" them) - I'm a little bit vindictive ....
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#21  Unread postby TheChad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:03 pm


SarniaTricia wrote:Looks good Chad... and yes, I'd be gunning for animals acting like that!
They are making a pack and acting like wild dogs... that's a good excuse to "end" them!!!!

(although, I's want to still add a hot wire at cattle strength and wait to see them find it, then "end" them) - I'm a little bit vindictive ....


There is a part of me that wants that too.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 2097
Joined: March 1, 2012
Location: USA
Thanks: 225
Thanked: 207 in 189 posts
BunnyBucks: 10,745.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#22  Unread postby AnnClaire » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:19 pm


No, you are not being vindictive, you are being practical. If those dogs are attacking your animals, they are attacking/harassing other animals. It is only a matter of time before it is a child or elderly person!!!

DO NOT FIRE A ROUND INTO THE GROUND either, all that will do is habituate the dogs to the sound of gun fire without any consequences! Gun control = shoot at what you aim at and aim at what you shoot at.

Shoot the dogs. You are doing a community service by removing out of control animals, especially if it is a pack. Dogs behave more aggressively in a pack than they do individually.

Kill those dangerous animals and be done with it!

I live in a small rural town and have an excellent relationship with local animal control. When the pit and cocker spaniel came through and slaughtered my growouts, I shot the cocker with my pellet gun (aimed behind the rib as it was going away, killed it) and I had to take the pit out with my shop hammer (2# head) as I didn't have time to reload the pellet gun when she turned on me. Took 6 hits, but I finally got one to the back of her head. It was a holiday weekend, but animal control came and picked them up for disposal.

He told me to quit dinking around with a pellet gun and get my conceal carry gun next time LOL Basically giving me permission to discharge a gun inside city limits! And he is still trying to buy that gun from me for his wife!!
cheers - AnnClaire

The following user would like to thank AnnClaire for this post
SarniaTricia, TheChad

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#23  Unread postby TheChad » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:39 am


Well another week and no dogs captured. The good news is the spottings have gone down a bit, but my back yard is a passage for them for sure.

I moved the trap to where the camera would pick it up better. I also took and placed hay in the bottom of the cage all the way to the back since I heard that it may be an issue for getting them in there. I have tried different baits. This week was chicken fingers and fries. I got a couple more cans of dog food as well. That was what caught the cat (that was safely released). :clap2: :clap:

Caught my neighbors dog on camera again. :dig-hole: I'm not going back down there to mention it. Although I will say he has been keeping it on a leash the last few times I have seen it. So that is a step in the right direction.

Neighbors dog here.

MFDC0913.JPG
MFDC0913.JPG (122.96 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

MFDC0914.JPG
MFDC0914.JPG (122.41 KiB) Viewed 1364 times


The next two shots are encouraging because the lattice seems to be working. You can also see that two of the pack got caught in the pictures.

MFDC1147.JPG
MFDC1147.JPG (216.32 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

MFDC1148.JPG
MFDC1148.JPG (199.59 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1406
Joined: January 13, 2014
Location: Southern Nevada
United States of America Female
Thanks: 65
Thanked: 223 in 204 posts
BunnyBucks: 7,390.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#24  Unread postby Sagebrush » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:12 am


By looking at these pictures it looks as if the trap your trying to use is to small. A dog won't go into something that is to small unless it has something irresistible to draw it in.

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#25  Unread postby TheChad » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:32 am


Sagebrush wrote:By looking at these pictures it looks as if the trap your trying to use is to small. A dog won't go into something that is to small unless it has something irresistible to draw it in.


Sorry the trap you see in the last posted pics is not the right one. That is a raccoon trap. You can see the current one above in some of the older pics. I would say it is a good three foot tall. Sorry for the confusion there.
Last edited by TheChad on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1406
Joined: January 13, 2014
Location: Southern Nevada
United States of America Female
Thanks: 65
Thanked: 223 in 204 posts
BunnyBucks: 7,390.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#26  Unread postby Sagebrush » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:36 am


Life happens. NO worries. Though I am very sorry that you are having to deal with this. Up here in Nevada it comes down to SSS.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
User avatar
Posts: 697
Joined: August 18, 2016
Location: Amherstburg, Ontario
Canada Female
Thanks: 141
Thanked: 141 in 131 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#27  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:32 pm


Chad
I would have lost my noodle by now.... It makes me crazy that those dogs are still out there .... and I am very very far from you!

Fence, Fence and Electric wire.....

I have to say you are a much more patient person than I am ....
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1882
Joined: May 11, 2015
Location: NC
United States of America Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 197 in 184 posts
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#28  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:08 pm


I am looking at this fencing for my garden - seems like good pricing - still need something to get power to it, but overall still not horribly expensive...

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Miscellane ... NSL120.php
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#29  Unread postby TheChad » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:24 pm


SarniaTricia wrote:Chad
I would have lost my noodle by now.... It makes me crazy that those dogs are still out there .... and I am very very far from you!

Fence, Fence and Electric wire.....

I have to say you are a much more patient person than I am ....


I can't even begin to tell you have irritated this has all made me. The day I end it will be a great one. :dig-hole:

1 year of membership
User avatar
Posts: 19
Joined: February 8, 2017
Location: South MS
United States of America Female
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 2 in 2 posts
BunnyBucks: 110.00

Re: How to stop a predator???

Post Number:#30  Unread postby DoodlebugMania » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:18 am


Realizing that everyone's situation is different (regarding town vs country living, proximity of neighbors, willingness to use forceful protection methods, etc), I won't offer advice, just a statement. Hubby and I live in the boonies so to speak, and if we begin having issues with predators, wild or otherwise, we'll get a pair of Pyrenees. I had some when living in Texas and never, ever had a problem. They would even dispatch snakes in the yard. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your situation. I know how frustrating it can be.
Add a little of this, a little of that, you get a simply happy southern girl :)

The following user would like to thank DoodlebugMania for this post
BeachBC

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest