How to Prevent Mastitis? And Hutchburn...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Willow

Reaction score
One of my two Netherland Dwarf does has what I think is the beginning of mastitis. She (Dinky) only has one chubby little baby (4-5 weeks old of the top off my head) at the moment, and Dinky had an abundance of milk her last litter. So I guess I should have been a bit more onto it. :(

Her teats are quite large and swollen, and I think a few of them are starting to get quite hard. Normally I would give her a bunch of parsley about now, but it's Winter and there's none left in the garden. What can I do?! She's my favourite out the two does, and I really want another litter out of her! :(

mint is very good for drying up milk, would you be able to find any peppermint or spearmint in stores maybe? i think sage is also good too, might be easier to find since it's a common cooking herb.

Thanks for your rapid reply @shazza! I've given her some fresh mint... assuming it's ok for her baby to eat too? I don't think Dinky has touched it yet, but bubba is tucking in :p

Just discovered my other doe has what looks like hutch burn. Not 100% sure as I've never seen it before.

I've taken her away from her two babies (7 weeks old). Is there a cream or something I should be putting on it? Whenever something goes wrong with the rabbits, it often seems as though EVERYBUNNY has to have something wrong. :angry: <br /><br /> -- Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:55 pm -- <br /><br /> Actually, after reading a bit on Hutchburn... is it possible she's just not grooming herself properly? She is quite -ahem- well padded. I can post photos if needed :)

Latest posts

Back