how to make them friendlier? would they get sick if i....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
i have a question for you guys...
i have had my lionheads for most of this month. they still do not come up to me when i feed them or anything. "cowardly lion" will sit in the front part of the hutch when i open it but if i do anything other then just grab the bowls, fill them, and put them back then he will scurry into the back of the hutch. "nosey" is fine as long as i dont try and pet her. and i do pet her when i feed her but it is only like a touch and she grunts a little and scurries into the back of the hutch, but when i feed her she will come up and sniff my hand while i take out/return the bowls. "snow white" is the worst of them though, she will scurry into the back of the hutch when i feed her no matter what. she even goes in the back if i'm standing in front of the hutch too long, not even opening the doors or anything, just standing there.
carrots will not entice them at all. been trying with that.
i was thinking i could bring them into the house one at a time to play a bit. but they live in a hutch outside. right now it is about 28*F and windy and snow on the ground. tomorrow its supposed to be 40*F though. i'm worried that if i brought them into the house to play (we keep it at about 65-70*F in here) and then put them back outside that it would be like a shock type thing or that they would get sick.
thoughts please! thanks!

I would not bring them inside for a big amount of time if they are outside.many of my rabbits dont like carrots.try apples or raisins.

I had rabbits that do better getting one on one time with them. I've noticed rabbits I have raised myself ( because I give them a lot of handling time) they do better with me. I noticed rabbits I've gotten from breeders that really didn't handle or touch theirs have reclusive personalities. I've been able to turn one of the rabbits I've gotten into a friendlier rabbit...she take treats now. It took a good 3 months,but it's better than nothing :)

Some rabbits are pets... Some rabbits are livestock. Some rabbits are somewhere in between, friendly but not chummy. I think if you want them to be friendlier, then bringing them into the house for playtime may help in the long run. Initially, it may set them back. Good treats besides carrots include cubes of air-dried whole grain bread, raisins and a fresh sprig of parsley.

You will find that if you work with the kits these rabbits produce, they will be friendlier than their parents. That is probably the easiest way to deal with the situation.

thanks! i have brought in two of the three so far. not too bad but they dont really like to be pet or anything. trimmed the ones nails. i hadnt realized they were so long! i'm very glad i brought her in and saw them. they were beginning to grow out sideways and cross over each other. and i got better pics of them :) i did not bring them in for very long. just enough for them to hop about and me to trim the ones nails.

I didn't handle my first few litters of kits very much since I am breeding mostly for meat, and I ended up with a lot of shy rabbits. I attended my first show last month and to get them ready for it I took each rabbit out for 5-10 minutes each day to groom them. I misted them down with vinegar and water and rubbed them firmly both against and with the lay of the fur, and scratched their haunches to loosen up the fur that seems to clump up in that area. I spoke softly to them while doing this, telling them what good pretty bunnies they were. When I put them back in their cages, I would set them down but kept hold of them so I could do a little more scratching/petting, waited until they relaxed, then let them go and gave them a horse cookie. At feeding time, I would pet them some more as they ate. After a couple of days of this most were friendly, although it took some a little longer.

I have a doe named Evil Blue, who I have also been working with in a different way for a couple of months now. She has never bitten, but is a "boxer", and was very aggressive when I fed hay in the morning, lunging with pinned ears, and boxing the hay as it was set down. I bred her in the hopes that she was behaving that way because she was hormonal, but it didn't seem to make a difference. In the morning at hay feeding time, I would leave her door open, and offer her hay strand by strand, waiting for the split second that she unpinned her ears so I wasn't rewarding nasty behavior. I also talked to her a lot. Once everybody else was fed, I would give her her full hay ration, and pet her while she ate. When I visited the BunnyBarn off and on throughout the day, I would pet her face as she was lounging in her bucket. She gradually came to accept being touched without grumbling away at me, and now she is known as "Irritable Blue". She has progressed to the point that she rarely lunges and seems to like being pet sometimes. I intend to take her to a show in March, so haven't bred her again- her kits are 6 weeks old now and about to be weaned. They are all sweet, by the way. I am going to start "phase two" and begin taking her out and grooming her as explained above, and see what effect that has on her.

Latest posts

Back