How to keep the kits from falling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niels

Reaction score
My bunnies had their first kits, and at 16 days old they seem to be doing great.

But now they are wandering from the nest, which is on the top floor of a two story rabbit hutch. One of them already just walked right through the hole and fell down. It seems to be doing fine and I was just there when it happened.

I've put hay on the bottom in case more fall down, and have put a wooden barrier in front of their "room", hoping the mom can get in there and the babies can't get out just yet, but this is a very temporary solution.

Any ideas that I can do to prevent more falls? I'm rather worried one will fall onto the ramp and get hurt. I thought about moving them to the ground floor, but they live outside and it's still rather chilly over here. The ground floor doesn't have a bottom and the sides are just chicken wire, so that might be too cold for them.

I would definitely move them down, you can use a cardboard box as a temp solution (closed with a hole cut large enough for the mother in the side) and get a wooden nest box (build or purchase). I actually am using a small dresser drawer flipped upside down with a hole cut out of the side as a hidey-hole nest box in one of the quarantine / temp pens and the rabbits really like it. I found it on the side of the road :lol: (not pictured)

But yeah, at this point they need to be down on the floor or they will all fall there regardless of what you do. At 16-18 days old my smaller-than-normal kits were able to jump up and hook their paws over the side of the drawer and tumble out... see picture, lol.
Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 4.13.40 PM.png

So try to find something that will work as a nest box on the floor. Even a 5 gallon bucket tipped on it's side filled with bedding would be a good solution. They have wanderlust and need to be able to get back home. Good luck!

The cardboard box, I can't believe I didn't think of that! Thank you so much!

Latest posts

Back