How to introduce two new breeding rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitRobbie

Reaction score
I recently purchased A male and female Lop Rabbit for breeding and I was wondering how to introduce and bond the pair. I put them together and the buck went to mate with the Doe right away but the doe showed aggression and tried to scratch,kick and bite :!: the buck. The buck didn't show aggresion although when separating them he kept thumping.

This is normal.

Breeders typically do not bond rabbits for breeding.
Instead they wait the doe to be in the mood, she is taken to the bucks pen (she may become territorial and attack him in her pen), ideally he mounts and falls off right away, and the doe is returned to her own separate enclosure.
Otherwise you could potentially end up with a maimed buck, or litters of kits as often as every 31 days.

What Zass said.

How old are the buns? Did you check if the doe is ready to be bred? How long have you had them?

Marinea":2c6ht5v7 said:
What Zass said.

How old are the buns? Did you check if the doe is ready to be bred? How long have you had them?
The buns are both a year old. How do I know when the doe is ready? She's had a litter once before with her previous owner.

You can check their vents, although I honestly never do. :oops: I usually just wait for signs, like chin rubbing, acting extra frisky, or lifting while being pet.

One good method is to bring the doe to the buck's cage every few days until she's willing. If she seems violent, separate them ASAP.

There's a thread with pictures for telling when the does are ready to breed that is very helpful. At first we didn't check and didn't have any problems breeding. But early this year we had a young buck we wanted to start using and didn't want any doe getting aggressive with him. The first one we put in growled at him. We checked the next doe and her vent was almost purple. She lifted as soon as we put her in the buck's cage and was bred right away. You have to check often because they change fast and I think at least for our does, some never look quite as ready as others.

Back