How to heal sore hocks?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Hi, I was reading up about sore hocks a few days ago after noticing one of my silver fox does laying a bit abnormally by this I mean she laid on her belly with her heels up. Almost like bunny loaf... I gave her a box and put some hay in it. I've been trying to get some of those plastic mats but it seems like the harder I try the less it's happening. Is there anything else I can do to help her heal up?

It was red and looked like it had scabs on it... On both hind feet. I just noticed them this morning because she happened to be laying at the front of the cage

I have had this problem on two of my rabbits. One was as you described with sores. I just put extra hay on the bottom of the cage in area that have no water bottle or where the pee at. My rabbits pick a spot to pee to the point where I can put pee pans in to catch it. I also cage any wet hay or soiled hay two to three times a day. In a couple weeks I notice the sores going away and the fur regrowing. It is called vetrap and use neosporin on them to. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Wrap-Adherent-Ad ... +tape+wrap

buying those plastic resting pads has seemed to work for me with my rexes, who are notoriously prone to sore hocks as they don't have as much fluff on the bottom of their feet. i have at least one mat in every rabbit's cage, even the ones with fluffy feet that are probably totally immune to sore hocks, but the rexes have at least half of their cage covered in the resting mats and so far it's worked pretty well.

I plan to get some of those mats. It's just been one thing after another here lately so I haven't had the chance to although I did find them at a rather amazing deal of I think 2.75 for 10+... We don't use neosporin >3< Only plantain salve. Vetrap? where do I get that from? <br /><br /> -- September 20th, 2016, 7:13 pm -- <br /><br /> Found Vetrap and am going to order some. I'll use plantain salve *Our fix all for burns, blisters, cuts, etc.* and then wrap her up in vetrap. Thank you for all the advice! :)

You could also go to your local building supply store and ask for scrap ceramic tiles. I paid a dollar for each of my 12" square tiles. They have the added benefit of cooling when it's hot.

after trying those good suggestions offered above-- if the problem still persists -- then consider not keeping replacement stock from those who are chronic ...

also - if you have wire flooring- make sure the 1" spacing is down, and the 1/2" spacing is up.- sometimes the floor gets put in upside down-- this causes point-loading of a rabbits feet-- especially on rabbits who tend to stomp/ thump their feet a lot.

I don't know what you mean by make sure the 1" spacing is down, and the 1/2" spacing is up. She isn't much of a stomper that I've seen.. But I'd say she's max weight for a Sr. SF... She's a big girl.. Her babies look like ants compared to her! I'm having a hard time believing my 7 month olds in the cages on either side of her are her kits and I brought them home at about that size!

when 1/2 x 1 inch welded wire is manufactured, - one side is made with 1 inch spacing, - the other side [the side that is supposed to be walked on by the rabbits] is welded at 1/2 inch spacing.
The rabbits should be standing on the side with 1/2 inch spacing between the wire.

Scrap wooden boards will work in a pinch. Others have reported sucess after bedding an entire pen with clean hay, to give the buns a soft, bacteria free surface to heal on.

My silver fox rabbits were big too. but they had amazingly fluffy feet. I'd have had a hard time imagining them ever getting sore hocks.
Having seen the pics of your buns, I suspect the problem is probably environmental rather than genetic.
Make sure her entire cage remains clan and dry, as standing in moist, bacteria prone conditions could trigger the condition in feet that would normally not be bothered by wire.

I see now how she got sore hocks. She pees and poos on the board holding up the back of her cage and sits on it all day.. I can't keep it clean *I've tried* Not sure how to fix it so I'll probably move her into a different cage once I have the opportunity to. I swear I have never had any issues with any rabbit I've ever owned that I can remember (Except my very first his name was Benny Bunny he got sick once when he was very old, a few months before he passed away) But this doe, I swear it's like if it exists but isn't contagious or life threatening you better believe she's got it or going to get it. Also while I'm thinking about it. Is getting ear mites a genetic thing? I mean the guy I bought her from said she got them a lot (Which I'm not shocked seeing the conditions they were living in)

Well when I got them they were sitting on about 1-2 foot worth of hay that had never been cleaned out only more hay.. Dad had been taking advantage of the doe by ripping all her fur on her back out. I actually have a pic of her the day I got her.
Screenshot 2016-09-22 at 9.51.57 AM.png
Screenshot 2016-09-22 at 9.52.57 AM.png

Back