How to grade her wool?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So Matilda is still with us, her new home fell through *sigh* and she is shedding her summer hair like a dandelion puff.

As we now have a shoe box full, my daughter wants to sell it.

How do I go about getting her fur/wool/fluff graded?

I feed really bad about how matted her back legs have gotten but we are once again getting her mat free, hopefully to keep her there this time!

Grading is usually something that is done at a mill, so if you know of a local mill you can take it there to be graded, though you might have to pay. I would just sell it without grading it. Most spinners know what angora is and how fluffy and lovable it is, so I doubt you'll need to grade it to move it.

PSFAngoras":p4vxiqkw said:
Grading is usually something that is done at a mill, so if you know of a local mill you can take it there to be graded, though you might have to pay. I would just sell it without grading it. Most spinners know what angora is and how fluffy and lovable it is, so I doubt you'll need to grade it to move it.

Which begs the question, where does one sell it?

Thank you for telling me it can be sold without grading btw, that is good information to know. :D

I would go to your local yarn and fiber store, and ask them if they know of any spinners. I know my two favorite stores here network word of mouth a lot, and one even keeps a binder of WTB and second hand for sale items under the counter for their customers on an ask basis. You could also try to sell on etsy if you already have an account. Or eBay. Who knows. :) Might be surprised by who would be interested.

When I was looking for angora fiber a few months ago, I looked at Etsy.com. I eventually connected with an English Angora breeder who sold me 1 pound (yes POUND) of fiber.

If the fiber has been harvested neatly--laid on paper in a shoebox and not matted (look at Etsy for photos of the fiber)--I've seen it offered for prices from $4.50 to $8.00 per ounce, plus shipping. You'll want a good, sensitive scale to weigh the fiber.

:)

GBov":3rlpiffv said:
So Matilda is still with us, her new home fell through *sigh* and she is shedding her summer hair like a dandelion puff.

As we now have a shoe box full, my daughter wants to sell it.

How do I go about getting her fur/wool/fluff graded?

I feed really bad about how matted her back legs have gotten but we are once again getting her mat free, hopefully to keep her there this time!

Grading also means sorting out the longer fibers from the shorter ones, with back and sides being the best and longest, shorter fibers from belly and rear.
http://www.harvestmoonangoras.com/about ... _fiber.htm

Back