Register

How to give a subcutaneous injection

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,276.00

Re: How to give a subcutaneous injection

Post Number:#16  Unread postby WildWolf » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Thanks!! So, when do you know to use sub-q? How do you get the medicine and the needle?
The Wabbit Warren- warren of wonderful wabbits.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,612.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby SterlingSatin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:48 pm

WildWolf wrote:So, when do you know to use sub-q? How do you get the medicine and the needle?

you should only give a sub-q injection if you know the medication should be administered that way. and where you get the medicine depends on the medicine itself. some stuff, like penicillin, can be bought at your local farm store. others can only be prescribed by a vet. needles and syringes can also be bought at your local farm store (think Tractor Supply).

BunnyBucks: 4,276.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby WildWolf » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks, that clears things up a bit.
The Wabbit Warren- warren of wonderful wabbits.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Sweden Female
BunnyBucks: 6,365.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Zab » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:37 pm

Are you allowed to do this without any education or license?

I have a license and I'm still only allowed to do it if I'm ordered by a licened vet.. :oops:
http://rabbittalk.com/blogs/zabistic
"If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. - Robert Brault, 1938"

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,508.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Zab wrote:Are you allowed to do this without any education or license?

Yes, we can give vaccines to our animals with the exception of Rabies, which must be administered by a licensed vet. We can also purchase injectable antibiotics to treat our own animals.

You can administer medical treatment to your own animals, and even those owned by others as long as you do not charge for the service, which would be considered "practicing medicine without a license".
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Sweden Female

Post Number:#21  Unread postby Zab » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:16 pm

heh and for us, vaccines are excluded from the things I ca inject with just a pet-nurse licence.
Would definetly not be able to buy antibiotics, but I think that's a good thing. Both antibiotics and dewormers are being used so much that we're getting issues with resistance. Any day now people and animals will start dying from resistant bacteria or worms.

But our injection laws are sometimes stupid.
"If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. - Robert Brault, 1938"

Canada
BunnyBucks: 16,745.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby 3mina » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Zab, it sounds a bit like New Zealand where you need a prescription to get vitamin C. A friend of my boxers breeder lives in NZ.
Rex and American Sables

Sweden Female

Post Number:#23  Unread postby Zab » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:28 pm

Prescription for vitamin C? Why not just give strawberries, oranges ..or any other fruit/veggie?

Regulations are interesting though.. mostly there is a good reason :)

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 20.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby TxAlan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:08 am

Isn't Ivomectrin given "Sub-Q" or is it better to give orally?

2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 5,736.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby TF3 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:35 pm

The medication should indicate how to give it.
For sub-q, I just punch up the loose skin at the neck and inject (prefer a shorter sharp, but I know the ivermectin I got was thick liquid and needed a wider needle so I ended up with 1") into the pinched up skin. This prevents going intra-muscular.
Lori
Chief Rabbit Wrangler and Homeschooling Mom
(Fiber & Dye Artisan, too)
Flying Moon Farm
Standard Rex & Meat Mutts
Facebook & Instagram
South River, ON
est. 2015
"Learn something new every day" <--- 2015 Goal

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,675.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby akane » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:55 pm

Ivermectin can be used orally. It should work just fine. You can even use the injectable liquid topically behind the ears or between the shoulder blades of the animal and it is still effective on most parasites. There might be an exception for something like wry neck treatment but your usual internal and external parasites do not need injection.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
In order to save myself I must destroy first the me I was told to be -The Dreamer

BunnyBucks: 2,140.00

Post Number:#27  Unread postby siddsaysgimmie » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:19 am

Sorry for posting on an old topic but I'm kind of desperate. I've been doing searches all morning with little luck. I had a doe with extremely stubborn vent disease... gave her 4 doses of Pen G, one a week, and then waited about a month to see what happened. She still had some pimples down there so I was advised to give her 3 more doses and see if that would clear her up completely. I'm extremely careful and did everything as I was told to each time I've injected my rabbits... not that many times admittedly but she was one of two does that I got with vent - the other doe cleared up with 3 doses. I gave the doe in question a dose last week and this morning was time for the second. I did everything that I have done exactly as I've done in the past. I am 99.9% sure that there were no air bubbles in the syringe... I flicked it several times and pushed out the excess medication like always. Almost all the way through the injection, she flopped to the side. I immediately stopped, but she convulsed and died right after. I have no idea what happened and can't explain how entirely awful I feel. I love my rabbits and have never done anything to harm them until today... She was otherwise completely healthy. I actually never heard of avoiding the blood vessels though... could I have hit one and killed her? I just need to know what I did wrong. :cry: :cry: :cry: Any help at all would be really appreciated.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,187.00

Post Number:#28  Unread postby macksmom98 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:04 am

I youtubed it a while ago, and the blood vessle thing is real. I cannot say what happend to your Doe, or if you hit one, but you do need to push all the bubbles out and then draw back and see if you can see any blood. I am sorry you feel some responsibility in what hapenend, it doesnt sound like she suffered and things do happen, try not to be too hard on yourself and learn from it...

The following user would like to thank macksmom98 for this post
siddsaysgimmie

BunnyBucks: 2,140.00

Post Number:#29  Unread postby siddsaysgimmie » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:08 am

I definitely believe the blood vessel thing, it's just strange because I was taught how to give injections by a vet a few years ago and I was not made aware of that. I'm just having a hard time figuring out whether or not that would kill my poor rabbit... thank you for your kind words. She was a very special bunny to me and I had intended to keep her for her entire life, I just didn't realize how short I would cut it. :(

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 7,980.00

Post Number:#30  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:41 am

siddsaysgimmie wrote:I definitely believe the blood vessel thing, it's just strange because I was taught how to give injections by a vet a few years ago and I was not made aware of that. I'm just having a hard time figuring out whether or not that would kill my poor rabbit... thank you for your kind words. She was a very special bunny to me and I had intended to keep her for her entire life, I just didn't realize how short I would cut it. :(

Even very experienced people occasionally hit a vein when using IM injections, even after all the above mentioned precautions are observed, - It is sad for all of us,- no mater how many animals we have treated. I don't know how this happens, but it does. I have given many thousands of injections, - have been very careful with all IM injections, and it still happened 3 times - it is just a sad fact of life...

I would suggest that [ contrary to "most" vet protocol books], IM injections be used only when there is clearly no alternative. I always give Pen G sub-Q -[pen G is almost always fatal if it gets in a vein] I sit on the ground, or a bench cross-legged , put the rabbits head under one of my bent knees, and bend my leg more to restrain it, I pull up the skin on the back between the shoulder blades, to make a "tent" then insert the needle slope side up, needle pointing toward the head, about a finger width above the backbone, pull back on the syringe, if no air or blood shows in the syringe, I then inject the medication, [try to keep the needle in the same place as it was when you pulled back on the syringe, through the injection process], [pen G is thick, so using a larger needle is helpful]
I give Ivermectin the same way...
JMHO...
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Miss M, siddsaysgimmie

PreviousNext