How to do a gator skin?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
As a small gator skin has come my way and I have never done one, any ideas on how to convert the thing into something use-able?

I just saw this, so sorry for the late reply.

I believe most tanning chemicals and standard methods will work for alligator skin. I've never worked with alligator, unfortunately, so I can't speak from experience..
From what I'm seeing online.
Fleshing is normal.

There is usually a liming step to remove the scales, probably similarly to how lime will help remove hair during the production of hair-off leather.
And a re-acidifying step after liming and before pickling. Alum would work, or any standard pickling acid:
Saftee or another name brand blend, citric, acetic(vinegar), battery acid(sulfuric), anything really.

Degreasing usually happens after a pickle and before the tan. (Unless you are using alum where the pickle IS the preservative)

I like my syntans so I'd probably go with one of those after pickling.

I imagine you would use whatever method you are most comfortable with.

You can leave the scales on but the leather will dry more stiff.

Epidermal slip with a gator hide would involve losing scales, right?

Usually, I mostly use a pickle to kill bacteria and prevent slip with fur-on skins.

Slip wouldn't really be a problem if you WANT to loose the scales.

So, in that case, the main reason for an acid pickle would be to neutralize the lime, and then plump the skin and get it at the right PH for tanning.

There are probably also less chemically intensive methods of tanning that would work..

__________ Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:01 am __________

One more thought on the pickle. I've seen it mentioned as a way to remove osteoderms.

Wikipedia:
Osteoderms are bony deposits forming scales, plates or other structures in the dermal layers of the skin.

And then from:
http://www.alligatorfur.com/alligator/tanning.htm

An alligator hide, which has basically no osteoderms on the belly can finish this(the pickling) step in as little as 1 or 2 days. A caiman hide, which has extremely pronounced osteoderms, may take as long as 45- 60 days.

Thank you for that Zass :D Its frozen at the moment so no hurry. And then deciding what to do with the thing after all the work. I stretched and dried the first one I picked up and then gave it to one of the teachers at school for her natural history section. Its amazing how many 'gators get hit round here, one wonders with all the rain keeping the ditches and ponds nice and full why on Earth they are walking the roads?

Latest posts

Back