How to discourage unthought out rabbit breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you discourage people from breeding rabbits "just because"?

Me...I tell them stories about does that have 11 kits over the course of three days and then die as the result of complications.

And then will tell them about does that will eat their babies or simply won't take care of them and if they aren't prepared to deal with that, then perhaps just breeding because you have a boy rabbit and want to girl rabbit so your children can experience 'life', then perhaps you shouldn't do that.

IF you want your children to experience "life" they are more than welcome to come over and experience it here in my rabbitry where I can deal with those complications better then perhaps they can.

There are a couple questions and spurts of information you can ask and give that usually deter people. If they're really determind you can blow things out of proportion and make things a little more gruesome.

1.) What are you going to do with the babies once they're weaned?
- At some point the males will have to be separated from the females.

2.) Are you prepared to be looking after say 6 or more rabbits if you can't sell them.
-In 5 or so months all those babies will be full grown rabbits.

2.) Are you squeamish? Are you prepared to deal with dead, mutilated, or deformed kits? Do you understand that not all will make it to weaning age. Are you prepared for the doe dying during birth? What are you going to do with the kits if she dies?

3.) What are 3 of the most common ailments that affect kits? Do you know the signs, and could you treat them accordingly.

4.)Do you know how to properly socialize babies? Do you know how to trim nails properly?

5.) Do you have time to care for extra rabbits?

6.) Are you prepared to experience the "miracle" of death?

Just ask a lot of questions they wouldn't think of and it usually deters them, but usually if I get someone that wants a bred rabbit so their kids can experience the miracle of life, I tell them to go somewhere else, because my rabbits are living animals not a Discovery channel experiment.

Give them options for culls and ones they cant sell.
Dog food
Cat food
Chicken food
Pig food
People food
Snake food

I raise my buns for fiber but they also serve as people, dog and Boa food and various other carnivore/omnivore animals.

People forget rabbits are a food animal, both wild and domestics.

If someone is stuck with buns and wont let them go for food, thats their problem.
Eventually they will have to do something and there are always people looking for buns for a food source.

Snakes and other carnivore animals are pets too. ;)

And tell them how expensive its going to be. That they won't make any money back off of them.

3.) What are 3 of the most common ailments that affect kits? Do you know the signs, and could you treat them accordingly.

Gosh, I am glad I didn't meet you-all before I started this! :) I wanted meat, so I wasn't breeding just because, but I still don't know the top three ailments of kits. And we haven't lost one (kit, anyway) yet, believe it or not. I love my bunny-mommas more with each horror story I hear. I have been blessedly lucky.

Personally I like #6, "...the miracle of death..." Just awesome response to people who think animals all come from a Disney movie. Now if I could just say it tough like that, without worrying about hurting their feelings...sigh, but I am related to these people...tact is less fun!

We had some people once who came to see our rabbits, they wanted to breed them as well. When asked what they were planning for the babies they said sell them to us... ahhhh nooooo not interested in taking any kits back, why would we? They never came back or bought a rabbit from us.

"6.) Are you prepared to experience the "miracle" of death?"

I love this one!!!!

Bravo!

Have a joyful day!
Franco Rios

I tell them the ugly truth.Does that are too small could die giving birth.The Dwarf does first litter is very often allborn dead.many first time does wont feed the babies.they are nearly impossible too bottle feed.many first time does dont use the nest boxes.you find them dead all over the floor.I dont make money selling rabbits.sometimes i manage too pay for the feed.finding good homes for rabbits is not easy.

Devon's Mom Lauren":1374pr4r said:
We had some people once who came to see our rabbits, they wanted to breed them as well. When asked what they were planning for the babies they said sell them to us... ahhhh nooooo not interested in taking any kits back, why would we? They never came back or bought a rabbit from us.

:lol:
They must think that all breeders do this. :roll: lol

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry":2avsfhll said:
Devon's Mom Lauren":2avsfhll said:

:lol:
They must think that all breeders do this. :roll: lol

Emily
Yes I am thinking that too lol! Maybe just a simple statement on our website to the effect that we don't buy back buyers' kits might stop most in their tracks right there. Its imo that most are not looking for a pet but a source of easy money.AND they expect others to do all the legwork for them!! :shock: :evil:

All in all its is(mostly) a free country and if someone asks a question I might be able to answer it; maybe not, but in the end its my opinion not the law so I don't have any right to force it on anyone else!! :)It is anyone's right to let 2 rabbits breed and as long as they are not abused then its not up to us to try and stop them ;)

I raise my buns for fiber but they also serve as people,dog and Boa food and various other carnivore or omnivore animals.It may appear that we are extending our Rural Architecture to an undue length,in noticing a subject so little attended to in this country as Rabbit accommodations.Its not uncommon for the rabbits to mount other rabbits when its time to breed.

The breed i raise, i just tell the truth.most of the time the first litter is born dead.most of the babies wont be show quality.In the middle of summer everyone has babies for sale sometimes you will not find pet homes for everyone.

It is a matter of surprise to an American first visiting England, to see the quantities of game which abound at positive seasons of the year in the London & other markets of that country, in contrast with the scanty supply, or no supply at all, existing in the markets of American cities.

Back