How???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar

Reaction score
So i am wanting to get started into Dutch rabbits, i found a trio, a steal doe, chocolate doe, and a black buck :mrgreen: . How am I going to convince my parents to let me get them though(this is where i need your input)? I was looking into cages on BASS equipment and was wondering your opinion on their cages? I was thinking 18x18x18 for bucks, and 18x24x18 for does, would that be to small? they would be able to run in our chicken coops a while during the day to stretch their legs, but i don't have enough money for much bigger cages.

You're going to need at least 24x24 for Dutch, remember 1lb is at least 1 sq foot of floor space for the rabbit to be comfy. Even if you're going to let them out, not meeting min guide lines set might be a problem for you later if some one wants to make a stink. Saving a bit longer or going to a local show with a cage dealer can save you in the long run. Cage dealers at shows don't charge you the shipping ;)

I suggest reading over min care/caging ARBA suggests and check for local laws as well. I do realize they list less is OK, but if the weather is bad or there is some thing that restricts being put out (or a doe and a big litter), is it really OK?

ARBA link:
https://www.arba.net/PDFs/ARBA_Care_Rec ... 072012.pdf

I hate the weather, if i bred the colors i have listed above(black over steel, black over chocolate) what colors would i get? the shipping on BASS equipment isn't that bad, i don't need to fancy of things since I'm just starting out.

splurging for the nice stuff first will really save a lot of time and money down the road. been there done that. i'm actually changing my cages out currently (slowly...over time...) and i wish i had just gone with the good stuff first, because the cages i'm replacing are so rusted and nasty after only a year of use that i can't even sell them on craigslist to get a little back! it also goes for getting the size that will be more ideal for you situation. again, you don't want to be stuck with subpar cages that aren't quite the right size and have to spend more money and time buying new ones later.

also, i don't think it's a good idea to let rabbits on the ground in areas that chickens have been. chickens carry a particularly nasty strain of pasturella that can kill rabbits.

Oscar":1jnlwxnh said:
There hasn't been chickens in there for a couple of years.

Some bacteria such as Cocci can stick around for 50 years or more.

steel x black you might get some steels, blacks, maybe a gray. black x chocolate, mostly blacks. Don't mix steel and chocolate lines

The steel will dominate over all the chocolate. It would literally be a nest box full of steel or gold tipped steel. If you are trying to go for show quality, they won't make the grade so to speak.

Back