How paranoid do you get?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We had an appraiser out yesterday b/c we are refinancing our house (4.5% 30 year to 2.625% 15 year! :yes: Hopefully we can have it paid off in 7 years or so ) and now I am going through all these thoughts of "what if" with the animals and even the children (we homeschool and people think we should "do school" like the public school). I have nothing to hide, it's all legal, but still... what if. Weirder things have happened. Ugh. I hate my paranoid thoughts. I went out and tidied up a bit around the hutches and the chicken coop, just in case someone comes poking around (nothing major, some empty feed bags that the wind blew around, the grow out cage had a little poop in the corner from getting caught in the hay, things like that). We also have two dogs coming around that aren't ours, although I think they were gone by the time she got here... they are a bit jumpy and hyper and starting to protect our house like it's theirs :roll:

We recently had an appraiser out. We didn't have a chance to do any tidying up- chickens and rabbits were as usual. The garden was in shambles because of the crazy weather. The appraiser's only comment was that we should consider concreting our 100 yard long driveway (we keep it unkempt to avoid unwanted visitors).

I get a touch more cautious when having buyers for rabbits come out. A different kind of cautious- either me or my hubby are armed. Very remote place, two older folks, and strangers lead to precautions.

There are all types of CRAZY out there.... some is more dangerous than other.

You are right to be paranoid.
After my experience with neighbours "in town" I will be thrilled to have a place out in the "boonies" were only invited friends and family will visit.

No matter the reason for the visit, people get it in their head that "they know" how you should be doing things.
(I had a lady freak out over a post to rent barn space, because I raised rabbits in cages! My post was looking to rent a barn space and I had a photo that showed my current set-up so the space I needed would be clear. The abuse was so bad I had to remove the post.)

Better safe than sorry.
Patricia

Not crazy. Last time my dad had his appraised (about 10 years ago) the appraiser said he shouldn't have animals at all on the property because he felt they were filthy creatures, he'd be much better off vegan. So much hell, leave your personal stuff at home, do your job.

Every thing was kept as farm should be, didn't allow into areas like the barn (this guy was afraid of dirt and hated having to walk a gravel path, let alone gasp his clean car getting dusty from the trip up the road). He just wasn't "ok" with animals period...or dirt...or any thing that really goes with country life lol.

I just don't really like much of anyone on my property, so I guess my being paranoid is pretty severe. I have always been a people pleaser, and probably feel judgement even when there is none. I have learned to overcome a lot of it, but when it comes to our home and my land I am still very private. Not sure if its more out of habit or because I have a long way to go as far as paranoia is concerned, but my guess is that it may be a little of both......

macksmom98":2u4eg7ld said:
I just don't really like much of anyone on my property, so I guess my being paranoid is pretty severe. I have always been a people pleaser, and probably feel judgement even when there is none. I have learned to overcome a lot of it, but when it comes to our home and my land I am still very private. Not sure if its more out of habit or because I have a long way to go as far as paranoia is concerned, but my guess is that it may be a little of both......

That about sums me up... people pleaser.... paranoid... private....

I just hope it ends up being OK. I wish I would have watched her a bit closer, kind of kicking myself for dealing with dishes rather than scoping it out. She was asking me how many buildings we had on the property - ummmm.... define "building" :lol: Does it have to havewalls? All 4 sides? Do the sides have to have solid walls? (we have a hoop coop, a 3 sided shed, 1 actual building, then a small open shed type thing that has 3 half walls (built out of pallets and covered with the leftover siding form our house so it looks pretty decent). When I was talking about it last night MIL said "yeah, you guys do have a hodge podge going on" :roll: My ILs are very much about appearances - the outside of their house is beautiful, and kept up very nicely (thanks to FIL and his constant honey do list)... the inside? Disaster zone. It hasn't really been cleaned since DH left home 15 years ago. She required him to clean it from top to bottom before I could visit (seriously, including light fixtures). He left for college, then we got married, and now it's ridiculous...

Anyway... glad I am not the only one to have those thoughts in the back of my mind. I thought I was being overly paranoid, but I think we have to be on edge anymore. I don't sell any rabbits from home, I meet any and all buyers at gas stations in town... takes more time and effort, but it's worth it to not have that added risk. My rabbits are tucked back in the trees behind a 3 sided shed and wire enclosure that I am growing roses and vines up. That plus shade cloth really blocks most of the view. The chickens are behind the cedar trees in the cow pasture, mostly out of sight. Guineas are in a hoop coop tucked back in the brush (pretty visible, but there's only 4 of them and they are a fairly "typical" farm animal so no biggie).

I am sure it will all work out to be ok, but I do understand your concern and wishing you had done differently. I think that I would probably feel the same. I currently need to get my house ready for the management company to come in and assess it for a good rent price when we move out in a month. We own two homes, and are going to move from one back to the other, and rent out the one we live in now. So I guess I will be going through it myself soon too, although I dont believe it will be as much of the outside, mostly in. I also meet all bunny customers at a local gas station, and so far everyone has been very happy to do so. They have never questioned it, and I would worry about anyone motives who do question it. I have a friend with an open rabbirty who says she would never buy from a closed one and also has nothing to hide. I don't really feel I have things to hide, but just don't want to invite disease or kids who would be rough on the babies into my property. I guess private is the perfect way to put it.....

macksmom98":1bnmfjh3 said:
... I also meet all bunny customers at a local gas station, and so far everyone has been very happy to do so. They have never questioned it, and I would worry about anyone motives who do question it. I have a friend with an open rabbirty who says she would never buy from a closed one and also has nothing to hide. I don't really feel I have things to hide, but just don't want to invite disease or kids who would be rough on the babies into my property. I guess private is the perfect way to put it.....
I couldn't agree more! You won't show up to my posted property unannounced and not pay. :twisted: I've had enough of the nut cases and AR nuts and closed my rabbitiry. Posting No Trespassing signs gives you certain legal rights to use deadly force if you are threatened so look into it. :yes: ;)

I think a lot of these concerns are valid, but I am blessed to live in a very peaceful but not secluded location. I'm not saying we don't have plenty of crime in South-Eastern Ontario, but it tends to be concentrated in urban areas or to be things like impaired driving, theft or vandalism. Incidents are few and far between.

I was a bit nervous after moving from Toronto to the boonies, but in the 15 years we have been here I have relaxed quite a bit.

People do tend to wander in, but all they usually want is to buy something from my SO. Brian loves dealing in antiques, collectables and useful second hand "stuff". The rabbits were always almost out of sight out back and although we free range the chickens and our goose, this has never created a problem. For the most part, people are charmed by them.

We had one incident years and years ago where an officer from the Humane Society showed up at the door one cold winter night. He said they had received a report that our geese were left out in all weather, with no shelter. It was nonsense, of course, and one glance into the goose house was enough for him to see that they were snug, happy and well cared-for. We had a pleasant chat and he confided that he wore a bulletproof vest because often people were extremely hostile.

That said, there have been occasions in times past when I have been nervous: once in a city apartment and once at a cottage about 150 miles north of here. Both turned out to be false alarms, but in both cases I kept vigil with a firearm (hunting weapons) in case things turned nasty. With a small child in the house (hey, MidnightCoder is 41 now!) I wasn't about to take chances.

How I do ramble. I guess what I am saying is set and enforce reasonable safeguards, be prepared to take action should it be necessary, but don't live expecting problems around every corner. The price you pay for ongoing anxiety or paranoia is too high.

Homer":xojr1mvh said:
macksmom98":xojr1mvh said:
... I also meet all bunny customers at a local gas station, and so far everyone has been very happy to do so. They have never questioned it, and I would worry about anyone motives who do question it. I have a friend with an open rabbirty who says she would never buy from a closed one and also has nothing to hide. I don't really feel I have things to hide, but just don't want to invite disease or kids who would be rough on the babies into my property. I guess private is the perfect way to put it.....
I couldn't agree more! You won't show up to my posted property unannounced and not pay. :twisted: I've had enough of the nut cases and AR nuts and closed my rabbitiry. Posting No Trespassing signs gives you certain legal rights to use deadly force if you are threatened so look into it. :yes: ;)

I also have a closed rabbitry. Also not for the fact I have anything to hide. More of fact I don't like having people I don't know around the rabbits. People I show with and am familiar with in the show world are always welcome to the barn. However one of them that use to have an open rabbitry had an issue with some rabbits being stolen from barn. It because evident that one of the customers that came to buy a rabbit scoped out the barn to see who was best and came back after dark one day to take them.

I have to much money invested in my rabbits to risk some being stolen. So for mainly security reasons, as well as other reasons such as disease,stress on momma and babies, etc. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:32 am __________ <br /><br />
Homer":xojr1mvh said:
macksmom98":xojr1mvh said:

I also have a closed rabbitry. Also not for the fact I have anything to hide. More of fact I don't like having people I don't know around the rabbits. People I show with and am familiar with in the show world are always welcome to the barn. However one of them that use to have an open rabbitry had an issue with some rabbits being stolen from barn. It because evident that one of the customers that came to buy a rabbit scoped out the barn to see who was best and came back after dark one day to take them.

I have to much money invested in my rabbits to risk some being stolen. So for mainly security reasons, as well as other reasons such as disease,stress on momma and babies, etc.

People have been messing in my affairs my whole life. Telling me how I should keep my animals or not keep them at all. Even after I became an adult. It was one of the major points that led to us being half evicted, half running away from the house in the country we were renting from my aunt. She also went a little crazy in the head but the crazy came down on the animals and keeping a 1950's sears kit ordered cheap ass house with plumbing and wiring issues pristine. It's not like she was helping fix stuff as the basement flooded 1/3rd of the year. Then the condo people happened who couldn't stand a bit of dog fur, a piece of hay, or anything else that slipped out into the hallway when management was supposed to be vacuuming regularly. We took over vacuuming our level. When the marijuana smokers were there they said nothing about smell but any animal smell became an issue with the future neighbors. Then there was that nightmare downstairs that kept our dogs from being able to play or chew raw bones for nearly 2 years while I walked around paranoid and they continued to scream about rabbits drinking water at night. It all had me quite paranoid about anyone knowing about my animals.

We just went through a whole bunch of warning letters from the city here but that was just irritating. I don't have rabbits outdoors after this guy kept slamming on my door to complain and eventually I think stole one. It took a bit but I established this is my house and I am working on establishing this is my land in my own mind. So when some guy started reporting everyone on the block rather than getting paranoid I did the minimum to make the city happy and told him to **** off. I'm within the law and my animals are mostly not visible so all he can do is whine about brush piles, dog poop (not required to pick up in my yard), and over grown gardens that either the city doesn't care or are easily masked long enough to make them go away. My bedroom, my house, my yard... I don't have to interact with you anymore than I want and if you want in my house you better have a cop or a gun (I don't recommend the latter for your own safety). We meet everyone for exchanging critters since we don't have hedgehogs now and we have a plan to wall off a portion of the livingroom for our new exotic interest to sell.

Heritage, I think I can empathize. My house was refinanced earlier this year as well. I was absolutely in a knot: we had bought the house right as the housing crisis hit 9 years ago, tried to refinance a year or so after we purchased it. Because the banks had been so lenient previously, (and because Atlanta was one of the epicenters for fraudulent mortgages!) the inspector went through the house with a fine.tooth.comb. Marched through every inch of property, measuring and commenting. I didn't have rabbits or anything then, either, and would have had issues if I had. While she commended us for how the place looked, we did not qualify because housing prices had dropped. Our home was worth more than what we paid for it, but barely, so we couldn't refinance because we didn't have enough equity yet and definitiely didn't have the cash to pay towards bridging the gap.

With that memory in mind as well as knowing I'd slowly turned the place into a mini-farm in the suburbs without anyone's knowledge or consent, I was a nervous wreck when we tried to refinance again. Had some medical issues going on also. Had some family crises happening as well as some home repairs (a bathroom plumbing failure that needed extensive renovation) so we absolutely needed the refinance to happen to add more cash, or give a baseline if we decided to sell. Was near the end of my rope so did not need a simple refi to turn into something much bigger. Terrified about the rabbits, since they did not technically exist and the neighbors had no clue, and it was clear there were more than a few pets. I ended up culling a lot, moving the select few left into a shed that I surrounded with wood fencing panels and then padlocked everything. Went crazy for days and nights inside the house finishing (or disguising) some projects the man of the house started but hadn't finished yet. The day of the appraisal, the appraiser called to say he would be 20 minutes late, which gave me enough time to drink a lot of coffee out of nervousnessand have a mini breakdown because of everything I was dealing with. When he got there I was polite but twitchy, red-eyed, and over it all and silently daring him to be negative, make remarks about upkeep or ask me to open the shed. He walked in the house, glanced in each room, briefly peeked up the stairs, looked out the back at our lot and verbally confirmed acreage, then stepped outside. I thought he was measuring; turns out he left. I wasn't sure why, and was alternately grateful and terrified. (Also a bit ticked because of all the extreme measures I'd gone through and he didn't even look at those areas.) Turns out some recent sales had pushed the price of land and homes up in this area, so base prices were very good. For the amount we were seeking to refinance, apparently he didn't feel the need to delve deeply. We got a generous appraisal and refinanced.

My moral? I wish I would have followed Maggie's advice:

MaggieJ":3a6xv8wd said:
I guess what I am saying is set and enforce reasonable safeguards, be prepared to take action should it be necessary, but don't live expecting problems around every corner. The price you pay for ongoing anxiety or paranoia is too high.
You are legally sanctioned to have your animals and homeschool, so if anyone pokes their nose in after the assessor, it sounds like a matter of showing them the paperwork or citing the ordinance and telling them to get the heck out. You've set your safeguards, are prepared for action, and can choose to enforce your safeguards if anyone gets in your business. No need to stress because that will only hurt you!

I hope it all went smoothly and you get the refinance. 2.65 for 15 years is great.

In spite of sounding cool and reasonable, I admit I stress pretty easily and unnecessarily over mortgage issues. I don't know why. The past twice I have renewed my mortgage by phone. Of course, I am not refinancing, so it is routine, but still I get uptight until it is done. And all for nothing... piece of cake and a lower rate... 2.8% I think it was this time. :oops:

That all is so - outlandish to me. Your mortgage issues, assassors??? WTF?

Also, your local laws, that sounds just awful. WTF, what does it matter what the neighbours know about my animals??? None of their business.

There are differences , owning something seems to be quite expensive in the US (lol. wasn't that a goal of communism to equilaze wealth by taxing those who have something?), I mean taxes for my house are close to nothing, that for my sisters (in the US) are quite higher than I would pay rent... (We pay the difference with income taxes)

But what really shocks me are your laws, I mean, "the land of the Free", and then you can't even keep as many rabbits as you can support on your property, everyone can set up rules, neighbourhood, city, county, state, US, where is that freedom the US likes to talk about?

Preitler":253t6dim said:
That all is so - outlandish to me. Your mortgage issues, assassors??? WTF?

Also, your local laws, that sounds just awful. WTF, what does it matter what the neighbours know about my animals??? None of their business.

There are differences , owning something seems to be quite expensive in the US (lol. wasn't that a goal of communism to equilaze wealth by taxing those who have something?), I mean taxes for my house are close to nothing, that for my sisters (in the US) are quite higher than I would pay rent... (We pay the difference with income taxes)

But what really shocks me are your laws, I mean, "the land of the Free", and then you can't even keep as many rabbits as you can support on your property, everyone can set up rules, neighbourhood, city, county, state, US, where is that freedom the US likes to talk about?

Not sure how much of our current Presidential fiasco is in the world news, but that just sums up the chaotic mess we are in. I was just reading about one guy who was fined for having too many plants on his property for the zone he was in. Other people get in trouble from growing vegetables in their front yards b/c they aren't "typical" plants for decoration. If it's edible, it's not allowed. It's ridiculous. Our government is currently on a power trip :(

heritage":24wiyhvy said:
Not sure how much of our current Presidential fiasco is in the world news, but that just sums up the chaotic mess we are in.

It is pretty much "News", actually outshining that we are into presidential elections ourself. With much the same problems.

Our system is different, there were primary elections with 6 candidates, the two top ones go into the second round. Unfortunatly, due to the recent refugee crisis here (don't get me started on that!) This two are a former leader of the green party - extreme left, and the candidate of the right party (not as far right as your republicans, but here right means that it is easily destroyed by being called Nazi)

Anyway, every other candidate would have been better. There's no way the EU would allow the right candidate (our country got heavily sanctioned when not voting what the EU says), so were heading for a green president. I think, I would prefer Trump over that.

Preitler":2q5thp7y said:
heritage":2q5thp7y said:
Not sure how much of our current Presidential fiasco is in the world news, but that just sums up the chaotic mess we are in.

It is pretty much "News", actually outshining that we are into presidential elections ourself. With much the same problems.

Our system is different, there were primary elections with 6 candidates, the two top ones go into the second round. Unfortunatly, due to the recent refugee crisis here (don't get me started on that!) This two are a former leader of the green party - extreme left, and the candidate of the right party (not as far right as your republicans, but here right means that it is easily destroyed by being called Nazi)

Anyway, every other candidate would have been better. There's no way the EU would allow the right candidate (our country got heavily sanctioned when not voting what the EU says), so were heading for a green president. I think, I would prefer Trump over that.

I am voting for my personal values here in the US, not for either candidate specifically. I won't say which way that is (although it might be obvious by the undertones of some of my other posts, who knows), but for us here in the US this President will elect people into the Supreme Court (a very very small number of people that decide outcomes for the rest of the country) that will change the course of history for the rest of our lives, most of our children's lives, and into our grandchildren's generation. It's a very scary and pressing realization.

heritage":308clcol said:
I am voting for my personal values here in the US, not for either candidate specifically. I won't say which way that is (although it might be obvious by the undertones of some of my other posts, who knows), but for us here in the US this President will elect people into the Supreme Court (a very very small number of people that decide outcomes for the rest of the country) that will change the course of history for the rest of our lives, most of our children's lives, and into our grandchildren's generation. It's a very scary and pressing realization.

Of the number of elections that I've had the opportunity to vote in, this is by far the most difficult for me. I had to walk away from Facebook this afternoon and go groom bunnies and take some relaxation time as I'm pretty sure my blood pressure is way up.

I've had friends on FB take polls amongst their friends. One is from a relatively conservative ranching area of the country and one is from a rather liberal thinking in Chicago. Both quick and unofficial surveys produced overwhelming results for Trump, easily 90% of those responding. Yet, that is not what mainstream media is reporting. I'm so worried, confused and stressed. Sigh....

SixGun":11zes5u0 said:
heritage":11zes5u0 said:

Of the number of elections that I've had the opportunity to vote in, this is by far the most difficult for me. I had to walk away from Facebook this afternoon and go groom bunnies and take some relaxation time as I'm pretty sure my blood pressure is way up.

I've had friends on FB take polls amongst their friends. One is from a relatively conservative ranching area of the country and one is from a rather liberal thinking in Chicago. Both quick and unofficial surveys produced overwhelming results for Trump, easily 90% of those responding. Yet, that is not what mainstream media is reporting. I'm so worried, confused and stressed. Sigh....

Yeeeeaaahhhhh.... I have some conspiracy theories swirling around in my brain... it's going to be ugly. I don't trust the media one bit at this point.

Back