how old to breed ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boundarybunnyco

Reaction score
I have some does that are flemish/californian cross, and are five months old. the buck i want to breed them to is a new zealand. these are for meat rabbits only. how much longer should I wait to breed them?

I personally don't breed large breeds like that until they are about 8 months old. How much does she weigh, do you know. That might be a better indicator.

Large breeds are usually 6-8months. Many prefer to go by weight because one 6month old might be more mature than another 8 month old. You can also pay attention to their frame and when they switch from growing up and out to putting on bulk then you want to consider breeding them before they start putting on fat instead of just muscle. Some find them too hard to breed if you wait too long but they could have more trouble getting pregnant and giving birth or get stunted in size if you breed before they are done growing.

I breed my Cals like they do in commercial barns. I check them at 17 weeks and if they "look" ready then I put them with the buck. If they don't lift right away, I remove them and try again a week later, after checking for readiness again. I have had no issues with them not building a nest, pulling fur or feeding. In fact, the ones I bred between 17 and 20 wks the first time have been superb moms. Just my own experience, other's may vary...

Your particular line may be bred toward early production while I've seen many threads of all failures breeding cals and NZ before 6-7months and some refusing to breed until 8 months much to their owner's frustration.

akane":1byb7jkd said:
Your particular line may be bred toward early production while I've seen many threads of all failures breeding cals and NZ before 6-7months and some refusing to breed until 8 months much to their owner's frustration.

That very well may be, which is why I don't do it unless they appear physically ready and act ready, ie. lifting right away. If they run, I remove them and wait a bit. I am very pleased with this line of rabbits. They are, by and large, easy breeders, good moms and sweet tempered. I just recently got some young NZW from TAMUK and I am looking forward to see what they will produce for me.

Back