How old are the kits before they need water?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proper2

Reaction score
I have 2 kits now who are 2,5 week old and they start to eat a little hay, but i would like to know how old are they before they need water and start eating pellets?
Would like to know if i have to adjust the height of feeder and water
Thanks

You would be smart to adjust the water-bottle or add another right now.
Once kits can get out of the nestbox on their own they start to sample
Moms food and drink from the water-bottle.
It's never too early to make fresh water accessible to the kits.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I have seen them eating the hay out of the nest box before they hop out
I would have it out and ready for them, if they are old enough for you to ask, they are probably ready for it

Ok thanks ;)
And what about the pellets,food?or do they get enough nutrition from the mothers milk for now

The way I see it, solid foods and water need to be there before the kits are old enough to be interested. That way, as they explore, they learn about them. Like all babies, everything goes in the mouth... That's how they find out about things. It makes the transition to solids smoother for the kits... and anything that does that has to be a good thing.

I always lower the water bottle at about 2-2 1/2 weeks, so that it is ready when they start hopping out. In cages with J Feeders, I use a brick in front of it so it can be reached. I also do the same in front of the nestbox so they can get in easily. They don't need them for long, so the weight isn't much of a concern.

Yep, I always make sure there is adequate pellets, hay & water that the babies can eat as soon as they may start getting out of the box. Depending on the weather & how active the litter is that is anywhere between 2 and 2 1/2 wks old. They will still nurse on mom, but the rest is all necessary too.

Qadoshyah

Back