how often do you clean?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelsummer

Reaction score
do you clean the pens? or even under them if you are not raising a worm farm. And for the colonies how often do you clean them? And by clean i mean clean it up dpwn to bare floor/ground and lay fresh straw/bedding/whatever

at least twice a week, I have a tight rabbit house, have to so the water won't freeze, and the smell, well gets strong.
BUT I have a friend who has a open barn with dirt floors, she has people who want compost come collect it. Craigs list.
Personally, I would do worms if wasn't seasonal, you can do it with a raised bed, even in totes

My colonies are indoors still (if my rabbit barn doesn't get built first thing this Spring SOMEONE will be sleeping in the garage!!! :evil: )and get cleaned 2 weeks. The litter pans get cleaned every couple of days. Once the kits start roaming out of the nestbox, I start doing a corner cleanout every week. For some unknown reason the does start to change potty corners when the kits come out to play, and they use the cleaned litter box as a resting area. :x

Twice per week, but then again, I have stackers with drip pans.

When my operation was outdoors, I did so once a week, and put down hydrated lime afterward to combat the smell.

I clean under the cages once a week.i have wire cages with pans.

I rake out the barn weekly and use hydrated lime afterwards. The stackers get cleaned 2-3 times per week.

I empty and rinse my trays under the hutches every other day then give them a spritz of Simple Green or bleach rinse, let sit for a few minutes then rinse again and replace. The whole hutch/pan combo gets a good scrubbing and rinse about once a month(weather permitting). I am out there everyday with a rake though, a few of my does are total piggies who love to fling their hay/straw everywhere.

ok i am about on target then i usually clean it out once a week. the hydrated lime can someone link me to a site with it so i can look at it?

I only use lime in the chiken coop in the summer, and sparingly at that--you get it at a feed store in a big 25lb sack, it is irritating to your skin, eyes, and nose, but it stays down on the ground and the chickens don't mind. It keeps down the flies.

Thanks to my mild climate, I have hutches out doors with no pans, and I love NOT cleaning. I built the hutches right over my compost bins and just turn the spilled hay and manure once in a while, and then put it on the garden when I need it. It doesn't smell except in the middle of August, when I water it and it goes back to being not-smelly compost immeadiately.

With my cage racks I would use a rubber broom to push everything off the slanted waste tray about 2-3 times a week. Once a week I would use a rake to rake up all the waste on the ground, shovel it into a wheel barrow and dump it in my garden area.

pastelsummer":2mr49fh7 said:
ok i am about on target then i usually clean it out once a week. the hydrated lime can someone link me to a site with it so i can look at it?

They sell it in bags at Tractor Supply, as well as in many feed stores. I believe it ran about $8 per 50 lb. bag the last time I looked.

All it really amounts to is white powder lime that's had most of its moisture removed. Barnyard stall lime is about the same stuff, just more coarse in texture and with moisture.

old jack is in a big cage with a litter box. It gets dumped every 4-5 days, and new hay/straw added weekly. Hoping for a warm spell in February to do a good clean of his habitat, but until we get a warmish dry spell...he'll have a deep litter bedding in order to stay warm and dry. (housed outside)

My cages are single layer and i have dirt floors which i have to shovel weekly. I used to use lime but every farm store only has the 5 pound bags of it and its $5 for that so ive been going with out now for a month lucky the cold has keep the smell down. But ive also got a fan on low setting on the ground to push any smell out.

I clean once a week. I have stackers with pans. Sometimes the cages can last a little longer than normal, other times they get dirty faster, so the actual amount of days between cleanings varies.
I scoop out uneaten hay (bedding) every couple days as it becomes soiled, and then they spread out the other stuff and bed in that. I need to give them their hayracks back! They've wasted so much hay lately, but I kinda feel bad because it is cold...Now I'm just contradicting myself. :lol:

Emily

Back