How much rabbit meat do you eat a week?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenoshaRabbits

Reaction score
Hi there gang.
This question is directed at those who raise meat rabbits for their own personal use. How much rabbit do you eat a week?
I will eventually (starting in 5 months) be raising meat rabbits for 2 adults. I love eating rabbit, but currently it is an occasional meal. I figure we could probably eat a rabbit meal per week between the two of us.
I was curious what it is like for other people. How much does an average adult eat in your house.
Thanks
Mike

Thanks alforddm and Zass.
Just wondering what I'll be looking forward to. I don't want to end up with more rabbit than I can eat. I suppose starting out it's better to have less than to have more rabbit than I know what to do with.

My advice would be not to worry so much about how much you would eat. Just raise as many rabbits as you comfortably can (based on $, space, time) and eat what you want, then can the rest. Home canning is easy and efficient and the meat lasts a very long time. There's always a "rainy day" on the horizon.

Frozen rabbit makes good presents, as well as good barter for other meats. We trade for lamb and chicken.

We not only raise meat rabbits but also cornish X rocks and pigs as well. So I try to configure all of those and our deer meat in when I plan meals for the week. I would like to get to the point of one rabbit meal weekly but we just don't have enough litters yet to do so but we're getting there. I have 5 children plus my hubby and myself to feed. We just began and 2 rabbits feed our family for a meal sometimes with a little left over even. So we really need a litter processed once per month to make it work from what I've been figuring. Right now we have 4 does with 2 up and coming. I found an article recently that explains a schedule that you would have a litter to process every month. https://theelliotthomestead.com/2013/04 ... -schedule/. I plan to try to incorporate this here soon with our 4 does at the time.

There are three adults in my family and we eat one rabbit at a time, with enough left over for one or two lunches. Our rabbits process out to about 3.5 lbs. I could probably eat rabbit twice per week, as long as we fixed it two different ways (stewed, curried, rotisseried. ..)

Depending on how we cook it 1-3 about once a week. If it's pulled, soup, burger, tacos, or shredded then 1 for a the 3 of us and often have some as left overs.

BUT

Grilled, fried, or roasted/baked/broiled then at least 2 for the 3 of us. And if my brother comes over then 3 for sure.

It's the same amount of meat no matter what but, especially grilled or fried, we can't get enough. :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But that's us. Izzy and I could easily eat it twice a week and be quite happy, but DH is more of a red meat kind of man. :p :lol: :lol:

We buy our beef and pork but have replaced our chicken with rabbit. We eat two rabbit meals a week, one rabbit for each meal.

When I had plenty, I ate daily. One meal was at least rabbit. At the moment, health problems derailed any breeding, and my supply is zero. So until I get back up and able to dispatch myself, I'm stuck with chicken from the store mostly.

I don't eat that much and considering I favor roasters and live alone, I wind up eating a lot of rabbit. When I get a roaster it usually will last 5 days as breakfast and dinner. A fryer will last me about 2 days breakfast and dinner if cooked right.

But I also have a herd I am still building (and live NZW kits sell extremely well in my area at $25 a head without any pedigrees) so when I have ones that need eating, it is not often, and usually just for herd improvement / injury / or excess bucks not sold alongside the does. (Who knew live meat-stock was so much more profitable than the meat itself?)

So basically, as long as they are plentiful - I eat it very often. :) I suspect a lot moreso after the move as I plan to invest in a deep freezer (the kitchen is a lot more spacious in my new house) and set up a space for cleaning and prepping pelts outside

Back