How much do you feed your breeding Californian rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe n TN

Reaction score
I free feed lactating does and my fryers. That's not my question.

How much, and what, do you feed your breeding bucks and does (when not bred)? Californians are what I have.

Right now I am feeding my buck and non-bred does 1 cup of pellets and a large handful of straw daily. I also feed a small handful of greens every other day. They seem to be maintaining a good weight, not fat, or too lean, with this diet.

Am I feeding too much? If I wanted to reduce my pelleted feed how much greens would I need to feed to substitute 1/2 cup of pellets? I feed fresh cut cabbage leaves, spinach, romaine and other good greens from the garden when I feed fresh stuff.

Thoughts? Suggestions? My goal is to keep my breeding stock healthy and producing well. Thank you,

Joe

I fill everyone's 1.5# feeders once they run low. So...free feed everyone. Adults aren't fat and the feed lasts days for anyone who isn't bred and for the bucks.

Temps have been in the 90s for the last few weeks here so my rabbit have been eating less. Bucks get 5oz pellets by weight plus a big hand full of Timothy hay per day. Idle Does get 6oz pellets plus a big hand full of timothy hay per Day. Feeding Petrus 700B its 18% and 2.5% fat with Calf Mana in the furmula. I would feed the bucks a lower energy higher fiber pellet but I don't have enough bucks to justify two feeds at this point. The bucks are a little on the heavy side and my does are in middle. Cooler temps bucks get 6oz and does get 7oz.

I feed 1oz feed per pound of rabbit. I supplement with treats on varies days and temps. I use cranraisins or oatmeal square cereal as treats. I also use a show mix(calf manna, barley,flax, rolled oat, blk sunflower seed,& safflower seed) 1/2 teaspoon every other day. I may throw in a little parsley or kale if I have it occasionally.

1oz per a pound and you will have some fat cals. I feed mine 6.5oz by weight from when they are 10 weeks on. Does within a week of kindling 8oz and free feed does and kits once the little ones make it out of the nestbox. So far this has worked out well with being at ideal weight for showing by ARBA standards.

A&BRabbitry":3hqw91lg said:
1oz per a pound and you will have some fat cals. I feed mine 6.5oz by weight from when they are 10 weeks on. Does within a week of kindling 8oz and free feed does and kits once the little ones make it out of the nestbox. So far this has worked out well with being at ideal weight for showing by ARBA standards.

Yep, that is what I feed my Cals...

Latest posts

Back