how many times do you breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a breeding question. I have used several breeding techniques over the years but I wanted to get some current info on what people are doing now days to get the best conception rates and largest litters. I of course take the doe to the buck and then I watch and let him service her twice, then return her to her cage for between one and eight hours and then put her back in the bucks cage for two more servicings and then back to her own cage for ten days for palpation.
How long do you all wait between servicings and how are your conception rates and litters? Thanks for your input!

I let my doe stay in with the buck for a day or two. My Minis are great and rarely miss, but my Hollands, true to breed profile, still have problems getting pregnant.

raising mini rex, holland lops, harlequins and polish. Use the same technique on all but one doe. Bring doe to bucks cage. Let him mount 2 times for virgin does, three times for others. I get good sized litters. For the odd doe... I bring the buck to her cage when she's being moody. I do this because she won't accept the buck if I bring her to his cage.

No differences in breedability among any of them. THOUGH the odd doe is a holland lop.

I allow the Buck to service the Doe twice at their one meeting.
I do not return the Doe to the Buck after any number of hours.
I find that system to be a useless venture and waste of time
which could be better spent getting another Doe bred.
[See Pages 250-253] Rabbit Production [Eighth Edition.]
What works for one does not always work for another,
do whatever works best for you and your herd.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I use the same method as Ottersatin. After trying about everything, I found that it works best for me. I didn't do any proper scientific testing, but I seems to me that the nuber of kits is affected a lot more by he buck than anything else. I was suprised at that, but certain bucks of mine bred to any doe seem to produce a greater number in the litter. I don't know why that would be, except perhaps that their sperm live longer, and survive untill the the doe releases all her eggs.

It is one of the reasons I am feeding 4 bucks :cry:. I save the best bucks confirmation-wise, but I have to wait till they have sired a number of litters to judge them properly.

Thanks to all who replied. I have done a bit more research and seems the more I learn, the less I know. No problems getting litters here, just trying to optimize things the best I can. I will try some experiments and document my findings this coming year and let you know!

I let them breed two or three times.my daughter left hers together all night and she got bigger litters than i got but i wont risk my bucks.

Most of my does live with the buck until they kindle...a couple of them just live together all the time. With the others, they get bred with morning chores (pop the does in with buck, clean some pans, remove doe) and then again that night if I have the time. Generally, they haven't settled yet, and it allows the buck to deposit more sperm (belts and suspenders type of person)

BalloonMountain":3usmp6na said:
Thanks to all who replied. I have done a bit more research and seems the more I learn, the less I know.

Ah, a true student of life. :D

Hate to say it, but...
some will say it doesn't matter what ever you do
millions of sperm, a few eggs...

Other will say that it does, especially with a not fully receptive doe, that multiple breeding is supposed to stimulated more eggs released and increase litter size.

I say that only breeding, or trying to, only breed does in heat is what increases the litter size the most.

Does do not go into heat like a Cat or Dog does/will.
There are however only four days out of the month that a Doe
simply will not accept the Buck.
Check your Buck prior to breeding to make sure he is
in good health and has all his tools.
Check the Doe prior to breeding, she should be
slightly swollen and bright Red to Purple in color.
If she is pale White to pink and shriveled she will not lift.
I NEVER force breed. If having trouble getting a Doe to breed/accept the Buck,
Bring the Doe to the Buck for up to four days in a row,
within that time frame she will breed.
NEVER just leave the Doe with the Buck, watch the proceedings,
don't turn your head or blink your eyes or you could miss it!
Everything should take place within 5 minutes or less.
Allow the Buck to service the Doe two or three times at this meeting.
I do not re-breed hours or days later, this is a waste of time and effort
when the Buck could be better used servicing another Doe.
After that place her back in her cage. Mark 28 days from the breed date on your calender,
that is the date to install the nestbox.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I've only just gotten into raising rabbits, but I put the doe in the bucks cage and let him breed her 1-3 times. Occassionally, I'll do it again about 6-8 hours later. All my does have only ever been bred to 1 buck, except for one was also bred to a different buck once, but she delivered 2 DOA kits. My buck has never failed to get a doe bred. I always palpate at 9-14 days. One of my does had 3 her first litter, 1 in her 2nd. Another had 2 in her 1st litter and 3 in her 2nd. The 3rd had 5 in her 1st litter. These are Jersey Woolies.

I have tried breeding them once only, breeding once and then again 8 hours later, and breeding once then again after an hour. My personal experience is that my biggest litters have come from placing the doe with the buck and letting them do their thing a few times and then again after an hour. My Mini Lop doe just had a litter of 9 and my Harlequin had a litter of 8, both first time does. With the other methods I was getting 4-6 on average. It could be sheer luck, but it seems to be working out for me. :)

Lauren

Latest posts

Back