How many ounces each with this grain mix?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Just trying to get a rough number of ounces to feed Mini Rex on a mix of 2 parts oat, 1 part wheat, 1 part corn, 1 part field peas.

Most of them are now eating it but am trying to cut down on wasted feed (by the kids, not the bunnies :roll: ) by getting each bunny a 4 ounce ramekin dish.

And no, I am not just feeding the above mix but a yards worth of grass, weeds and plants (like banana, sweet potato and prickly pear cactus) planted just for the buns but right now, am I right that 4 ounces per day should be a good starting place with the grains?

Tip: An electric mower withOUT a mulcher ability cuts nice long bits of grass and weeds into a handy bagger to carry around to the buns to feed the fresh cut goodies. I am cutting the yard in sections which gives fresh grass/weeds daily plus keeps the yard looking great! :cool:

That sounds generous to me. Nursing does may need more, bucks less. I also used ramekins for my rabbit's grain, but I didn't fill them to the top. They also got lots of greens and hay.

I'm curious why you added corn to the mix. At one point early in my natural feeding, I was giving the rabbits a good-quality three-grain scratch (oats, barley and cracked corn) and the rabbits rarely ate any of the corn. I'd end up tossing it to the waiting chickens and geese in the morning.

The quality of the scratch went downhill and I switched to whole grain, usually wheat and sometimes barley. The buns were not fond of whole oats, though they would eat them crimped. Fussy bunch.

I think you have to tailor your mix to what is readily available at an affordable price and what your rabbits will eat. As far as quantity of concentrates, probably a little less is better than a little more. They put fat on rabbits so easily.

As I am mixing the grains for the ducks, chickens, pig as well as the bunnies, I just added the corn to the total mix instead of adding the step of mixing separate for the buns.

So far they seem to love the corn and the mix in general. It did take them a few weeks to learn to eat it and one doe, who is strung like a plucked wire, isn't transitioning to not only the feed but to us as well but all the rest are either holding their weight now or gaining slightly.

They all did loose weight at the start as they wanted their pellets dang it and were not afraid to starve to tell me so!

The proof will be kits, 4 in a nest box so far, one doe in the first two bred has kindled with more due.

And once we have kits, we have a working base for breeding with this feed.

Good to know that measuring this way is slightly to the generous side, it will make it easy for the kids to measure the feed so we know exactly how long each feed purchase will last.

Cant wait to feel better again, I have 9 ducks, 3 roosters and 8 old hens all eating their heads off and me not well enough to send them to freezer camp! :evil:

Latest posts

Back