Register

How many oats?

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 11,860.00

How many oats?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby GBov » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:56 pm

I have found a source of organic grains finally but I wanted to ask. How many oats a day should rabbits eat?

We are feeding weeds and grass - with a top up of feed store pellets - and as soon as everything grows enough to harvest they will get peanut greens, banana plants, spineless prickly pear cactus, cat briar, canna lily, citrus leaves, grape prunings, and many thinings from the garden.

So lots of variety but as organic pellets are a third again more expensive than whole grains, I would rather add the grains as the rest of the livestock can eat them as well.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,156.00

Re: How many oats?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:12 pm

French Angora, at about 8 lbs body weight gets about 2 Tbsp of oats a day. Not all will eat that much though when provided that amount.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 11,860.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby GBov » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:15 am

So Mini Rex - about 5 pounds - should get about 1tbls to start? Good grief, good thing we have the birds or a 50 pound bag of oats would last for life! :lol:

Have done the math with TSCs organic scratch grains v shipping costs + organic grains and even with shipping, its cheaper to have the grains shipped.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,156.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SixGun » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:07 pm

A good deal is a good deal... and I know. I also give a tsp of flax seed each day. Bought a 50 lb bag. LOL! I will have flax seed for a while yet. But buying at the grocery was a couple bucks for a jar, or $6 for 50 lbs.... Seemed like a no brainer.

I would start at 1 tsp... and work towards the tbsp.