How long to pickle?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a batch of fryer hides in a pickle right now. They've been in for 24hrs now. I've read in some places that you should pickle for 3 day. Is that necessary for thin fryer hides? How long do you pickle the hide of an older rabbit? I'm using citric acid/salt and the ph is stable around 2.

I did try searching the forum but didn't find anything that addressed this particular question.

Thanks everyone appreciate it!

alforddm":1eryagtx said:
Zass":1eryagtx said:
Fryers are pretty pickled after 24 hours. Feel free to go ahead and start your fleshing whenever.

Thank you!

Return to pickle before neutralizing and tanning.
With fryers a couple hours is all you will need for that return step, instead of overnight.

It's important to mention what tanning method you are using.

Some use an alum pickle, and leave a pelt in for weeks...I think.
Some use a battery acid pickle and leave it at that, without following up with a tanning agent.

Both will do the job of preventing bacterial growth.
(and thus slip)
Alum has a way of working into a pelt to preserve it longer than an ordinary acid pickle. It can be rinsed out,...so alum tawed pelts can't really be washed.

One can make a hair-on rawhide that's reasonably supple with...nothing at all. It will be papery without an oil, and slip is certainly a higher risk.

All the other chems and processes do have their specific purposes.

I like the syn-tans for fur because they can be washed and re-broken at any point. In that way, they seem to hold up better than even the industrial chrome tanned skin....without anywhere near as much environmental hazard.

alforddm":lxxgory4 said:
I plan on using the EZ tan 100 when I get them out of the pickle. The pickle is citric acid/salt.

That one is super easy to use, and gets very consistent results.

The real work in tanning is, as always, going to be the fleshing and breaking.

Back