How late is too late for first breeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
So, I have a slight situation.
My only Dwarf herd sire died, and my new one can only breed early next year, when he will be old enough. I have two does. One is 7 months, the other a year. The older one has had litters before.
I want to get a litter out of the older one, so I am going to breed her to a small mixed breed buck. He is slightly larger.
My predicament: I don't know the exact weight of the younger doe, but I'm guessing it's 3 pounds. The buck is just over 4 pounds. This doe has never had a litter. I am nervous for her first breeding to be with a larger buck, so I was going to wait until the Dwarf buck is ready to breed her. But, I can only breed her in March because of very hot weather beforehand. She will have just turned 1 year old. Is that too late for a safe first breeding?

I might have to wait until March anyway, because I'm waiting for new cages to breed them again because my current ones aren't baby-proof. And, the person who is making the cages is taking forever, and I am trying to breed before summer hits.

Age doesn't seem to affect the ability to have litters--were this true, the 2 year old virgin rabbit I have should have been kitless forever, but has kindled me over 35 kits in the last two years, and is due again this weekend.

Fertility can be affected by how fat she is and general health, but holding off til she's older won't hurt her either. If you're nervous about breeding her to a larger buck, wait.

Latest posts

Back