How dust sensitive are rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sireenica

Reaction score
I want to keep a bunny in my basement, its dry, gets natural light, has a sink and lots of room, its also the coolest place in the house year round.

That being said, it is an older house, even though I have been working on cleaning it up and I can walk down there barefoot not problem, I is slightly dusty, well the dustiest part of the house.

I blame it on the fact it is unfinished, I plan on using it as my dye workshop and I sweep it regularly like the rest of the house. Its just that I feel like you can never get all the dust up from concrete floors.

Is this a bad idea? Should I relocate the the covered back porch, which does get wet in storms so I would need to build a cover
or use the guest room-which can get pretty warm and LOTS of sunlight (carpeted floors)

Personally, I would not house rabbits inside at all. Especially if you are going to be using commercial dyes.

I would suggest that both of you would be happier with an outdoors solution.

As for dust/dry conditions, yes domestic rabbits are happier with a humidity of around 85%. Evidently that is the humidity maintained in their colony's.

Pretty good. Barns are usually fairly dusty and they most certainly don't maintain 85% humidity lol Some parts of the country or times of year you are lucky to get 40%. I don't know anyone who bothers checking the humidity except to worry it's too high in the basement rather than too low. We ran a dehumidifier and still have it going despite no more rabbits. I use pine pellets and everything is covered in a layer of dust in the room or basement of the animals I use it for. I've never had respiratory problems. You can see walking paths used around the cages, door tracks, in any spider webs, up the walls for the rabbits because they spray urine a good 4' up. Urine is why I don't have rabbits indoors anymore. I find no humidity problems, dust problems, light problems, etc... with any setup. They do however tend to coat the wall in pee that dirt sticks to or ammonia smell builds up which will cause respiratory problems for everything in the house and every place I've lived with indoor rabbits in any cage type from 15lbs to 2lbs I had to repaint. The basement here is sealed with a waterproofing paint on liquid so I just took a mop to it. Then I got guinea pigs who only pee down. Same dust but clean walls and the floor just has to be swept. No scrubbing pee.

Latest posts

Back