how do you know if you have a good mom?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mytdogs

Reaction score
My first litter was kindled this morning & the kits look good but tonight when i checked on them it looks like some have full tummies (a white bulge on the left side) while others don't. Does that mean they didn't all get to eat?

Is there anything I should be doing? Mom is a first timer & she still doesn't like me touching her though she is not as fearful as she was.

Thanks!
MyT

All the kits' bellies should look as though they swallowed a grape. Rabbits can feed up to eight kits at once, so all of them should be getting fed unless they are having trouble moving around and getting to mom to nurse.

Since this is her first litter, she might not quite know what to do, especially if they are on the young side. They usually get it all figured out by the second litter. I have one that kindled on the wire the first time and didn't take care of her babies at all. Her second litter she did great (at least until she ran out of calcium and lost her milk, but I consider that one my fault, not hers).

Just leave them be.
The kits that missed the first feeding may get something in the next.
Remember kits only are fed 1-2 times per 24 hours.
Newborns can go 24 hours with no prob before getting that first feeding sometimes even a little longer.

If mom looses a few, thats expected with a first litter.

I never expect a first time mom to raise her litter. Often they will, but if I expect them to lose the litter and they don't, I am pleasantly surprised. If they do lose the litter, I won't judge them by that one loss. Like trinityoaks said, they can go on to be great moms. I will use the loss in my 3 strikes assessment though. :)

if she doesn't get it, pull the box and put momma in it. restrain her a little until she settles adn lets them feed; I have had to do this and find that they get it quickly. Nursing also stimulates lactation and young does often don't know what it is--once they bag up and let teh kits feed, they learn that they go to the box for relief.

Latest posts

Back