How do you feel about salt licks?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnychild

Reaction score
I know they are not really needed in a well-balanced diet, but how do you feel about them?
My new hay holder came with a salt lick and I'm not sure whether I should give it to Truffles or not.

If you are feeding a good pellet, it's probably not necessary, but prepared feed can lose nutrients due to prolonged or improper storage while in the warehouse or store. I see nothing wrong with offering it. A trace mineral salt lick (usually brown) would be better than pure salt (usually white).

MaggieJ":2p847fg0 said:
I see nothing wrong with offering it. A trace mineral salt lick (usually brown) would be better than pure salt (usually white).

It is actually orange and shaped like a carrot (talk about rabbit stereotypes). I think it is pure salt with some kind of coloring added, which I assume is pet safe.
Do rabbits actually lick it or chew it?

Mine lick it - well, sometimes. They also ignore it for long periods, so I mount them rather high on the wire, so the stones don't get soiled but are there when they need it. I use salt stones for cows and wild animals like deer from our equivalent of tractor supply.

Mine get the cute little blocks of himilayan pink salt. I like it because it holds up well to humidity. If your bun if going to get a lot of greens or natural foods, I'd suggest keeping a salt lick in place.

From what I've read, and my own experiences, it seems like buns tend to ignore salt licks anyway, unless they start craving the stuff due to an imbalance.

so do you guys feel it'd be worth it to have one? or is it just kind of one of those 'if you want to go ahead' kind of things?

shazza":okzpk2ah said:
so do you guys feel it'd be worth it to have one? or is it just kind of one of those 'if you want to go ahead' kind of things?
If their body tells them they need it and it's not there it's kind of hard to get isn't it. It lasts for a verrrry long time hanging in the cage. Yes, I'd say it's worth it and they're dirt cheap at the feed store.

I introduced Truffles to the salt lick. She was a bit surprised when what she assumed was a soft, sweet veggie was actually a hard, bitter salt lick :lol:
It makes sense that they would only go for it when they need it. I know the ones I use for my horse last a while.

My 2lb himalayan salt blocks are finally starting to show a narrowed end of being licked down several years later. :lol: I wouldn't use regular white salt. It's not useful at all. Small animals don't sweat salt in the heat and they need very little of it. A mix of salts like electrolyte mixes or himalayan salt that has a lot of beneficial minerals which might be missing from a hay heavy or diet heavy in only local foods can be useful. The brown colored salt/mineral blocks I am on the fence if they are ever useful. They are still 99% plain old salt with a very limited variety of trace minerals compared to some natural sources but livestock on pasture do seem to benefit from them and will eat dirt if not provided. I just would spend the money on himalayan salt or another source of mineral mix and electrolytes instead for such small animals.

If I ever finish off the two blocks I have now I will give the Himalayan salts a try. I did see them at the co-op last time I was there.

Humidity will dissolve them far faster than they'll be eaten or they fall down and get dirty and cleaning them isn't effective because they dissolve. Be careful because anywhere your cage wire isn't coated or gets nicked it will rust horribly if the salt touches it.

akane":34809s00 said:
Humidity will dissolve them far faster than they'll be eaten or they fall down and get dirty and cleaning them isn't effective because they dissolve. Be careful because anywhere your cage wire isn't coated or gets nicked it will rust horribly if the salt touches it.
She is inside so hopefully humidity won't be a problem or we are all in trouble :lol:
It's a brand new cage and the salt lick holder is attached to the hay holder (I actually really like the design) so it's not even touching the cage.

oh boy. i live in houston and you can swim through the air year-round. but if they need it i guess it's worth giving to them.

With the 100 or so rabbits I've offered salt rounds to, I've had about 10 consumed and 30 or so dissolved due to urine (changed the location on those) and the rest just hang around until I feel they just need to be replaced. I've always kept them offered as I can't find any reason NOT to and they're cheap as dirt (almost).

I don't give any. I did at one time years ago, but I live in Florida, land of humidity, and would find water literally dripping from them. This was starting to do a number on the wire, so I quit. It wasn't like they were using them anyway.

We don't feed them. I think they look cute though. My big sis ( LFB) says not too so I buy other things with my pocket money for Olaf.

I have not used them at all but I have only been doing this a little under a year now. It seems to me maybe I should after reading all these post. I have notice while playing with the babies buns that they like to lick my skin maybe for the salt content or sizing me up for a bite lol.

Back