How do you deal with contamination?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Since rabbits seem to be susceptible to EVERYTHING, how do you deal with going to a show where there are hundreds of different rabbits from all over? Is there a er...isolation type thing? or does the show have a signoff sheet where you guarantee that your rabbits are healthy?

I know we had a problem last summer with the county fair and the chickens. ONE person brought a sick chicken, and by the time it was over (a week) almost every bird in the place had problems.

If you show - your rabbits are always susceptible to any germs, or diseases that may be there. All you can do is be careful of where you place your rabbits, and what you touch. After holding somthing that might of looked unhealthy, wash your hands. I know some breeders bring vanodine, a animal safe germ killer and spray everything before putting there rabbits in it.

After a show - you should always isolate your rabbits to make sure they havnt picked up anything. Also - clean any carriers or anything you brought to make sure they have nothing on them. I have never had a problem with rabbits being sick after coming home from a show, but many have.

O always worry about this too Ann - even in theory - so I'm glad you asked ...I'll be watching htis thread too

What I do/plan to do.

1. keep my bunnies away from other bunnies.
2. don't put my bunnies in judge stalls that have poop in them, and if they do, to clean that poop out first.
3. wash my hands between showings/looking at other peoples bunnies
4. avoiding people I've been told have sickness in their barns
5. isolate as much as you can when you come home.

These are things I've been told:
Some breeders maintain a separate show herd.
Isolate for a month!
If something gets sick...cull it out. You don't want to breed animals that get sick all the time from showing.
if you don't want to risk a particular animal getting sick.. don't show it.
If you can't afford to cull/don't want to cull an animal...don't show it.
If you have a stressy showable doe/buck at home...don't show it...breed it! Show it's offspring. :)

A judge stall is where the rabbits are kept before the judge looks at them/is done with them. Its at the head of the judge table where all the rabbits in that class are kept. Its like, a row of carriers, sort of. SO - all the rabbits at the show are in them at one point. Same as on the judge table.

Well, most show carriers contain multiple rabbits, so they'd be a bit unwieldy for putting up on the table. I've seen carriers for dwarf breeds with six rabbits - and mine carry three.

you'd think somebody would have developed something to reduce disease spread ...

Shows aren't as scary as they seem.

At a show, any sick animals are to be reported to the show secretary, who will discreetly ask the owner to remove said rabbits from the show room.

Any rabbits that show signs of being sick when being judged with be DQ'd (this includes matted fur on the front paws, wet nose, ear mites, weepy eyes, etc)

The judge will have sanitary wipes for the judging coops, as well as disinfectant spray, and hand sanitizer (as well as a never ending supply of paper towel)

It is up to the exhibitor at the show to also wash their hands when handling other exhibitors rabbits. AS well to disinfect their area. I've got a spray (Miracle by Swish) which is used in hospitals and veterinary offices, and it kills every germ in the book, whilst smelling lemony fresh.

Keep your show rabbits separated from the others as a precaution. Also there is a product you can get called "Best in Show" that will boost an animals immune system so they'll be less likely to pick something up at a show.

Latest posts

Back