Register

How do you choose a rabbit for a child?

How to help your child get the most from a pet rabbit.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 10,839.00

Re: How do you choose a rabbit for a child?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Cattle Cait » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:12 pm

My rule of thumb selling to 4-H kids is I usually only sell to the ones I already know or ones that show at my county fair because I'll see them a lot over the course of the year and can guide them along. They get my business card with my phone # and its on the pedigrees too so they can call anytime. I also used to keep a couple of litters of Mini Rex on hand for the new kiddos. My little brother also had Himis when he was very little and they were perfect for him. Franco pretty much summed it up great though!
Also, I have a pamphlet typed up and on hand to give with a first rabbit and it includes good links, info about ARBA, showing, feeding, etc.
Caitlin C
Webberville, MI
The Domestication of Cattle Cait
http://cattlecait.blogspot.com/

"In Cattle Cait country, you not feed rabbit, but rabbit feed you."

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Anntann » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Tomcat that sounds like you put a LOT of thought into it :) thanks for the ideas.

I have recently decided on at least one rule for myself: that under no circumstances should Angoras be a first rabbit for someone. It worked out okay for me for 2 reasons...1)I had a REALLY good mentor just down the road; and 2)I'd raised a LOT of other animals over the years..from breeding to birth to death. But if I had it to do over again...I'd start with new Zealands or something that didn't require slightly extra nutrition, and grooming on TOP of everything else :)

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,831.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby KatzNetherlands » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:51 pm

I really think it depends on the parents vs the kids. I am the type of parent, my kids asked for rabbits after we started getting some for us... So we are getting each one of them their 'OWN' rabbit. It will be kept in their rooms, and they are responsible for EVERYTHING. Cleaning cages, food, water, grooming, showing, etc.... My kids are taught that these are their pets. They will be with them until the rabbits die.(The other rabbits may get rehomed as breeding stock moves around but these particular ones will NOT).
I am also very aware that means sometimes they won't want to.. well too damn bad. If you don't take care of your pet, you don't go play with your friends. Luckily, my kids are very into animal care and responsibility and I try to lead by example with my rabbits. I don't 'go play' until my animals chores are done. So, I believe you have to really look at the values the parent instills onto the child. PLUS! Never sell the rabbit right then. It is impulse buying. Give them some time(I also give a price list and list of local stores for all the supplies needed to care for a rabbit per month - as well as how often each thing needs to be done - cleaning litter box, cleaning cage, sanitizing bowls, etc) - Then, I make them wait a few days. People have time to think about it and some people change their minds and decide it is too much work for their little kids and them. Others know and are okay with the work and are fine waiting a few extra days... THOSE are the people you want to sell to. Impulse buyers for kids/pet rabbits are rarely good homes.

JMO
http://littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com/
Little Bigz Bunnies
Netherland Dwarfs
The Little Bunnies with the Big Attitudes!

The following user would like to thank KatzNetherlands for this post
Jannette

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby el_bonbon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Hello,

Since I am kid, I always loved rabbits and got few of those walking around in my house. Rabbits are sociable animals that like to live together, both in the wild and as pet rabbits.

I always choose a dwarf rabbit, I think it's the perfect breed for little house/flat.

A pet rabbit for 6-years-old children would be a good idea, since rabbits are usually low-maintenance pets. They like to be picked up, held, snuggled, and can represent a source of discovery and learning opportunities for young children.

Best,

Eline

Previous