How did I get a pair of REW kits out of this pairing ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For REW's you need "cc". Fion is "cc" and all of his offspring now carry that recessive trait. I assume you mean how does Ballach carry the small "c" if there isn't evidence in the pedigree?

Well since the albino-ism is a recessive trait it can remain hidden for many generations. Additionally, you just have a small portion of the overall picture with your pedigrees. I am guessing you got these pedigrees from someone else? I bet if you were to ask that person if they had REW's in other litters, there would be evidence of the recessive "small c".

For example with your doe, you don't see any that are REW; but in theory both of Ballach's parents could be "Cc". She'd probably have a REW litter-mate or two. But you wouldn't know that just looking off your pedigree.

I actually have sent a message to the girl I bought Ballach from.

I didn't think to ask if she had any REW litter mates though - I did ask if she'd previously kindled (if not, she did great, since I hear that many don't allow rabbits over a year to a year-and-a-half to breed for the first time).

But yes - I was asking how she could through a "c" when there is no evidence in her pedigree of her having it.

I'm baffled, but completely fascinated at the same time.

Even the two peanuts in the litter looked like they would be REW ! They both passed on yesterday though :( <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:37 pm __________ <br /><br /> Response from seller :

ya i've never bred her and no she doesnot have any REW littermates but mom has produced 2 REW with the same dad and a different dad

Mom my last little of Flemish Giants pulled that one on me to. Both are Lt. Gray and neither had any white on their 3 generation pedigrees but I have two REWs and one black in a litter of 7. :slap:

So Ballach's mom has the recessive REW gene....
If you want colourful babies, you will need to get her a new boyfriend!

:lol:
Rabbit math starts this way.... or is it shows.... wait, its those darn popple photos everyone posts....

HOWsMom":qew0itqy said:
Response from seller :

ya i've never bred her and no she doesnot have any REW littermates but mom has produced 2 REW with the same dad and a different dad

So there's your answer, her parents both are "Cc". I misspoke a bit, the proper question would be "has that pairing of dam/sire produced REW's". Seeing as those smaller breeds produce smaller litters, it is not surprising a particular litter wouldn't have a REW.

HOWsMom":qew0itqy said:
Even the two peanuts in the litter looked like they would be REW ! They both passed on yesterday though :(
[/quote]

Sorry to hear they passed. FYI there's a 6.25% chance of a litter of 4 being all REW's for those particular rabbits. Best of luck!

Wanna know what's crazy, how did I get a REW from a Chocolate SF (sire) and NZ/Chin cross (dam). I understand it coming from Mom's side but coming from dad's I just don't understand.

Latest posts

Back