How close should the kindles be?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEP board

Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread, I've had two first time does have unsuccessful kindles. The first had two still born (assuming they were still born). The second had eight but all died even after assisted nursing. So the advice I've been receiving (and thank you) was to breed them again asap. My 'plan' was to breed #1 tomorrow and #2 on Monday as this goes into my days off when I project out 31 days. I know it may not work out that way. I know that folks have taken kits from one kindle to another when necessary and from what I understand the kindles have to be close in age. So would tomorrow (Thursday) and next Monday be okay, or too far apart? Should I breed one today and one tomorrow instead regardless of my off time schedule and just let nature take it's course? I'm wondering if that may not be a better course of action since, if my math is right, doe #2 delivered on day 32 the first time. So my projected days off may not work anyway.

Thank you for your advice. :)

I would say if possible breed them on the same day. if you are using one buck for both maybe give him a few hours break in between? I haven't done this before so I'm not exactly sure on that note. Anyways, I have read that the biggest age difference for fostering concerns is 2 days.

Given a perfect world :x breeding all does, in a small herd 3 or so, would seem ideal. That way fostering can be done. I, personally, only have 3 does but none are ever ready at the same time. At this point everyone is about 2wks off from each other. :oops: I could see there being an issue if you had a 100 doe herd and all kindled within 24 hours. :x That would be a lot. IMO.

The answer to the original question will be different depending on the situation and the purpose for which you're raising rabbits.
This year we started breeding in February (we stop breeding for a few months over the winter). We had 2 proven does and 2 first timers. We bred every 2 weeks and except for one of the young does not taking the first time, we had litters every 2 weeks. We rebred her at the same time we rebred one of the proven does when her first litter was between 4 and 5 weeks old. The last litter (6th) is due May 23 and then we'll take a break until fall. We feed a lot of forage in the growing season and wanted to be able to take advantage of the lush spring growth. Also had noticed that the midsummer litters last year didn't do as well as the earlier and later ones. And since we're raising for meat for the family, not to sell, having a small steady supply works better for us. We also raise a pig each summer, but there you get all the meat at once. It helps with freezer space to have the rabbit production spaced out more. Will see how it works through the rest of this year--how litters from different times of year compare.

Thank you everyone :)

I decided to bred them both a day apart. Doe #1 was bred yesterday. The buck didn't 'fall over' but they were against the back of the cage and it looked like he sorta stopped on top of her afterwards and maybe didn't fall over because he was against the back of the cage. I don't recall him falling off her last time either and it did take. Doe #2 was bred today and the buck did fall over, they were in the middle of the cage. So we'll see if they both took and see what the results are in a month or so.

Latest posts

Back