Register

How are rabbit hides processed commercially?

Discussion of fur breeds, tanning pelts, using the furs, marketing.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,400.00

Re: How are rabbit hides processed commercially?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby GBov » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:08 am

So far my "industrial" rabbit hide tanning project goes like this:

1) flesh hides really well (Fisk safety scissors work really well for this step :D )

2) stretch and dry hides

3) dampen dry hides down with a mix of 70/30, brains to water

4) tumble dampened hides in dryer set on AIR DRY and keep turning it on, and on, and on, for several hours.

5) (which I havnt done with the experiment hides yet) smoke hides, well away from heat of the fire

Today I am going to redo 5 of the hides I did yesterday with brains instead of just dry and then smoke them this weekend.

So far, I am liking the way this is turning out!

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
Sumatra

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,169.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby cmfarm » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:22 pm

Thank ya'll for the step by step directions! I have 2 hides in the freezer and I would like to give it a go some time but am a little scared to try. It seems like everybody has a different way to do it.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,875.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Zass » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:40 pm

cmfarm wrote:Thank ya'll for the step by step directions! I have 2 hides in the freezer and I would like to give it a go some time but am a little scared to try. It seems like everybody has a different way to do it.

I read this somewhere..
There are as many different tanning methods as there are tanners.

Like rabbit raising, tanning has a learning curve of it own. Don't start on your favorite skins.

The worst thing that can happen is that bacteria will start to work on the epidermis on your skin, causing hair to fall out(in clumps or patches).

There are all sorts of things you can do to avoid or prevent that(some more expensive than others)...or you can just work really fast, to get the pelt dry and soft before it happens.

Not so hard to do with rabbit skins, since they are small and dry quickly.
Last edited by Zass on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Post Number:#19  Unread postby GBov » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:13 pm

I now have four finished hides. With just the dryer! :shock: My hands and arms and shoulders don't hurt and my pile of hides is a delight. :D

Two of the 6 hides are still a bit stiff so I will damp them down and do them again with the next batch. And I will cut a length of 2 by 4 into 5 inch pieces and use those instead of the shoes, my family have started hollering for their shoes back! :lol:

Tomorrow I will fire up the smoker and smoke the 4 finished hides.

I guess some processers must use a tumble type processer then?

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby alforddm » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:31 pm

How much hair did you find in the lint trap?

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,353.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:36 pm

:yeahthat:
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 5,430.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Ramjet » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:50 am

GBov wrote:I guess some processers must use a tumble type processer then?

I recall a while back watching a youtube video of a fur buyer processing I think it was mink hides & he had a tumbler but what he put in it was sawdust & something else (oil?) to "condition" the hide. Its been quite a while back ... my memory fails on this one.

Don't recall where I saw or read about using shoes in the dryer.

I don't know if I'd use pieces of 2x4 , it may harm the hide simply because of the hardness / abrasiveness. Compare that to a shoe which will flex & give a little to absorb some of the impact .... Let us know how that works out.

I'm really considering trying the dryer method as I have 16 hides in the pickle right now & that's a whole lotta elbow grease otherwise.
Hindsight is always 20/20 but looking back its still a bit fuzzy.

https://www.facebook.com/texrex.rabbits

TexRexRabbitry@Hotmail.com

BunnyBucks: 2,169.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby cmfarm » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:24 am

I will have to try out the dryer method. We have an old dryer outside and I think the spin still worked it just didn't heat anymore. I will have to see if it still works. Can you thaw out a hide, flesh it, and then re-freeze it until you have time to do the rest or will it hurt it?

Post Number:#24  Unread postby GBov » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:35 pm

alforddm wrote:How much hair did you find in the lint trap?

About enough to felt a one inch ball. MUCH less than comes off a load of towels drying.

As I said, they are not as high quality as the ones I do by hand but they are MILES above what is being sold in hobby stores. :D

Shall let you know how the 2x4s do.

What I find so pleasing is that this batch are fryer hides. Usually I dry them to shave for needle felting (non so far shaved due to lack of shaver so many dried and stored in boxes :roll: ) but this way, I have a sellable/useable product with minimum time and effort.

Smoking today and have 6 more fryers to do so more hides to try this way. Shall change the ratio of brains to water to closer to 50/50.

My poor mum, she said she never DREAMED she would be living in a tannery one day! :lol: Esp. when I mentioned I wanted to try vulture fleshing again, only this time on purpose.

__________ Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:35 pm __________

My last batch consisted of 4 very thin fryer hides and two older rabbit hides so much thicker.

Took the ratio of brains to water to closer to 30/70 with much more water than last time and three brains spred to 6 hides.

The fryer hides came out GREAT!

The prime hides came out stiffer but still nice.

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
Sumatra

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby alforddm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Usually I dry them to shave for needle felting
I had to google this to find out what it was but thank you! I am going to have to try this! (I mean the needle felting.) I may try breaking the hides in the dryer as well. The knob on my dryer is broken on my 35 yr old dryer (no I'm not kidding) though so I'll have to remember to dig out the pliers to change the heat setting :lol: :lol:

BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby skysthelimit » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:38 pm

The fleshing is the easy part for me. The longer I leave it in the pickle, the easier it is for it to peel right off.

Breaking consists of me pulling in every direction several times a day for 10 minutes or so.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

Post Number:#27  Unread postby GBov » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:52 pm

alforddm wrote:
Usually I dry them to shave for needle felting
I had to google this to find out what it was but thank you! I am going to have to try this! (I mean the needle felting.) I may try breaking the hides in the dryer as well. The knob on my dryer is broken on my 35 yr old dryer (no I'm not kidding) though so I'll have to remember to dig out the pliers to change the heat setting :lol: :lol:

Needle felting is GREAT!!! Such fun, just remember to get finger guards when you start. Its major ouchy when you poke yourself with a felting needle!

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#28  Unread postby Zass » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:03 pm

skysthelimit wrote:The fleshing is the easy part for me. The longer I leave it in the pickle, the easier it is for it to peel right off.

Breaking consists of me pulling in every direction several times a day for 10 minutes or so.

I do a lot of that. Break for a few minutes, toss it back in the freezer to stay moist until I feel like spending another 10 minutes on it...

Post Number:#29  Unread postby GBov » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:06 pm

It takes me about 2 to 3 hours of work to bread a hide fully by hand so any way to reduce that is great. And my hands don't half hurt by the time I am done.

__________ Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:06 pm __________

I feel RICH!!! :D

Finally got my shed converted to a smoker (put my gas smoker into the building, stapled sheets up inside to turn it into a walk in smoker) and stretched cloths line across it. Pegged my now 16 finished hides to the line and smoked them all at once.

Plus bacon, butter and cheese.

Wow, to have all those hides finished is like a dream. My kids split them all between them and have stuffed their beds with finished hides.

The bedrooms smell GREAT! :lol:

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#30  Unread postby Zass » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:13 pm

GBov wrote:My kids split them all between them and have stuffed their beds with finished hides.

The bedrooms smell GREAT! :lol:

Yeah, mine do that too. It's hard to save any for myself.

PreviousNext