House rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
Does anyone keep a house rabbit in addition to a barn or outside rabbits? I have a older rabbit that is just too skinny to be outside comfortably. He been living inside for several weeks in a very large single carrier. For a while I thought I would have to cull him but he has gotten better since I put him on some Timothy based pellets. Anyways I think I am going to keep him indoor the rest of his life. I am a bit excited and am in the process of buying a metal dog crate to convert into a cage for him. Since I going to need that carrier to Transport a rabbit to a show in two weeks. It's been a long time since I have had a house rabbit. I am really a bit scared I am going to spoil him rotten. :D I will post pictures of his set up once I get it done.

i have my little lionhead, who we got before our meat rabbits and always intended him to be the housepet. he's not the most affectionate little guy but he's cute and hopefully with some time he'll be more tame. his previous homes involved small children so he is very handshy and territorial about his cage, but we're working on it!

tumblr_oj81pcSMU91vlx0zao1_500.jpg

shazza":30qmybc4 said:
i have my little lionhead, who we got before our meat rabbits and always intended him to be the housepet. he's not the most affectionate little guy but he's cute and hopefully with some time he'll be more tame. his previous homes involved small children so he is very handshy and territorial about his cage, but we're working on it!

tumblr_oj81pcSMU91vlx0zao1_500.jpg

That is one fluffy rabbit! I would even throw out the word "floofy" :lol:

it's a good thing he's easy to groom, haha. he has the longest face hair i've ever seen. the fluff on top is almost 4" long and it almost looks crimped it's so wooly haha. i don't understand how he sees!

Harelady - the lady I bought some of my rabbits from had an indoor pet bunny along with her meat breeders. I think it's totally possible to have both - I know some people that have both indoor and outdoor dogs as well. Sometimes it just works out that way!

Thanks everyone I love the pictures. I tried to take a picture of my little guy named Diego. My camera was having a fit with taking a good picture of a black rabbit in poor light. Diego is a Black Tan rabbit so all I was getting was a black blur. :lol: Will get one at some point. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:16 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here is a picture of what I came up with as far as indoor set up. The wire is a bit wobbly which concerns me but its the best I could do with the scrap wire I had. Diego seems happy enough.

https://pix.sfly.com/ce3wTo

nifty! i would also suggest urine guards on the sides as well to protect your floors. i actually built my own cage for my housebunny too because i have been so vastly underwhelmed by commercial pet rabbit cages. it feels like you only have two options - a deep litter pan but they stand in their own waste, or a wire floor that they inevitably pee out the sides of!

tumblr_ohql8bK1WW1vlx0zao1_500.jpg

this is when i first built it and my jclips weren't in yet...it's much neater looking now haha. but this cage is perfect - wire floors, deep pan, no pee on my carpet :) wouldn't work for a bigger bunny as they only have so many sizes of under-bed containers, but for a little lionhead that gets daily outside cage time it was perfect.

Back