horrible sad news at Wildflowers Farm

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani4Hedgies

Reaction score
Sadly our Easter weekend went from excited Wonderful to horrible as Allie Bun Bun started her kindling late Friday night and early Sat morning she was laying in the nesting area of her cage. As she was with her back to me I didn't try to reach any or anything as I wasn't sure if she was laying down or crouched over possible babies. So I waited a few hours and went in to check on her and found that she had died in childbirth with no kits delivered. I don't know the exact cause of her death it could have been from any number of things from too big of kits to an birth defect in her. Normally I would do a necropsy to discover the cause but simply couldn't as she was such a loving part of our family and we instead just buried her and spent the day telling our favorite stories about her.

So sorry. It is hard to bear when that happens. Would you post a pic of her here?

*hugs*

It's an unfortunate risk of breeding and I hate getting attached to animals before their first litter because that's always the riskiest. I generally don't do a necropsy when they die obviously giving birth because there is very little to be done about the complications. There are a few things that could be done if you see labor is not progressing but the details of the complication don't really increase preventative options for the occasional problem birth or next steps to try if they still don't come out on their own.

imgur.com is the quick and easy temporary replacement I found for posting photos. The album option is clunky and annoying but to just upload a pic and throw it on a website takes seconds (after a couple minutes to make and verify an account with an email address) and most sites will automatically resize it so you don't have to mess with shrinking it another way. Once in your account on the website there is a giant green "add images" button and once uploaded use the bbcode share option to paste into your posts on the forum.

Back