Hope I'm not making a mistake (cat)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
So for valentines my wife wanted a Siamese kitten, after some discussion (and a lot of pointing out that we don't have the money) she settled on a 3y/o in need of a new home for free off of craigslist (their story was that he was from a friend who moved out of state, and they found out that they are allergic to cats)

So now I'm waiting for the coupon from one rescue so that I can take him to the other (spca) for a free snip job, as he is unfixed
anyways that the back ground

Now 3 days later, my wife cat (not him) a 9yo altered female, is absolutely horrible, I mean she goes puffy and spits anytime she sees him, he pursues her, I mean like to get close and smell her etc. but he has never hissed at her, or hit her, even after she attacked him. I've been woken up every night, but the racket is all one sided. It's to the point where I toss her out so I don't have to put up with her bad attitude. They aren't fighting, or rather he is actively avoiding fighting. Is there anything to do with them other than just chucking her out so I don't have to hear her.

Jack,
you mean that you brought an interloper into the 9yo cats domain?
How could you do such a thing!?
I believe that the 9yo Cat is just a little bit peeved,
We not too long ago received a very young Kitten [Female]
of course when it came to us we were told "It's a Girl"!
Neither here nor there, The resident Cat was mopping around
with a long face for quit some time. She Hissed and swatted at the new
little girl, but after a week they became fast friends.
She needed a play mate and now she had one. We see them "safely" playing together
incessantly. Perhaps in a week or two your Cats will see each other as playmates.
We can only hope! Best of luck with your feline situation.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

IDK...
She's um, not know for being nice. My wife actually told me one of the reasons she dated me was that her cat didn't try to attack me.
I think he is going to win her over eventually (either that or she is going to get hungry and invade the bathroom his current 'territory')

wasn't perhaps the best way to introduce them to each other....a more gradual approach works better for older cats... but you live with how it is. Teach her to mind her manners overall but as long as no blood is drawn things should work out.

he was in the bathroom for 2 days, thats about as gradual as i can make it

They will learn to tolerate/avoid each other. They may never love each other.

Giving them seperate food/water dishes may aleviate some stress for now, but I have a 16 y.o. male, and a 11 y.o. female I got when the male was 5. The female is just a witch. The male is calm and laidback and never fought her, but she hisses and swats and growls to this day. If she hasn't settled in 10 years, I don't think it is gonna happen.

She will not be replaced, ever.

I've never dealt with this situation (our Marilla would disown us if we ever brought another cat into her house) but I think I'd get a second litter box and dishes and confine the new cat to a separate room at night. This would give both a respite from having to deal with each other and you'd get some sleep. Just an idea.

if he is unfixed even though she is he is trying to get some. I have 2 male unfixed and one fixed male and they are ALWAYS trying to "befriend" the female and the noise we hear is usually the female trying to get them away from her. When he gets fixed it should calm down considerably

Oh, sorry, but he is much more affectionate (she thinks sitting on us while we sleep is an expression of love) and he wants to get attention in the morning and wakes me up, which my wife thinks is hilarious, so she spends the night outside as short of crating her there isn't really a way to keep them apart, and I won't do that to my dog. I think they have calmed for now, she just growls and hisses when she goes in the bathroom to use the potty.... never mind she knows that he's sleeping in the bedroom closet or is on the couch.

Just to be a little ray of optimism here... We have a stray cat that adopted us about 3 years ago. He has been coming into the house for two years now. This winter is the first that i have seem our elderly house cat permitting him to actually curl up in the same chair as her ... at the same time ! Only took two years. Never thought i would see the day !

Back