Homeschooling in the 19th century

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading Louisa May Alcott : Her Life, Letters, and Journals on Project Gutenberg. No end of wonderful stuff there!

This is an excerpt about being educated at home by her father:
Schools then were not what they are now; so we had lessons each morning in the study. And very happy hours they were to us, for my father taught in the wise way which unfolds what lies in the child's nature, as a flower blooms, rather than crammed it, like a Strasburg goose, with more than it could digest.

I liked that!

MaggieJ":3rtj6v40 said:
I've been reading Louisa May Alcott : Her Life, Letters, and Journals on Project Gutenberg. No end of wonderful stuff there!

This is an excerpt about being educated at home by her father:
Schools then were not what they are now; so we had lessons each morning in the study. And very happy hours they were to us, for my father taught in the wise way which unfolds what lies in the child's nature, as a flower blooms, rather than crammed it, like a Strasburg goose, with more than it could digest.

I liked that!

Thanks, Maggie. Perhaps it's even more true as the amount of "information" grows so fast and the time to make sense of any of it diminishes.
Back when my children were growing up, people often asked what curriculum we were using and I'd tell them "the same we used for walking and talking--it worked very well". Finally looked up the origin of the word curriculum and found that it meant race course--something you go around and around as fast as you can.

My kids use the same natural interest-driven learning style that taught them reading and speech for physics, programming, digital art and and animation. They love being able to run in any direction they wish, and sharing their projects on social webpages.
I suspect, there are few school curriculums in the US that could even begin to keep up with their interest levels in those area, if any.

Back