Homemade pans?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDMIST

Reaction score
So I have three 30x30 cages I need to put pans under. I priced out some plastic pans locally and they average about 35 to 30 dollars each. I went online to some larger cage suppliers and they have cheaper metal pans, but the shipping gets you. Average about 40 each pan. I was thinking I have some 12” flashing and some old pine boards. Has anyone made their own pans for cages?

My thoughts, make a pan from wood scrap. Line with flashing. At cut edges silicone to prevent leaking? I have all the material already less the caulk but if someone tried this and failed please let me know.

We made some and they worked fine. The only issue was the weight. Hubby *may* have used thicker boards than needed.

Would you mind advising how you made yours? I was thinking 1x3 pine boards to keep weight down or there are some 1/2" treated boards I think are used for replacement privacy fence I was looking at.
Thanks

We have cages 30" deep, some are 3 ft long and some are 4 ft long. My son made our pans from galvanized metal roofing panels that haven't been stamped (so flat, no ridges) The panels are almost 41" wide and he cuts in a couple inches from each side near each end and folds that 2" up for the wall of the pan. Then folds up the ends and secures them with a roofing screw and uses silicone to seal the seams. He says they cost about $16 for the bigger pans and somewhat less for the smaller. He's ordered more panels to make pans for the additional cages we need this season. (Guess that is counting my kits before the does kindle ;) ) Anyway he says he'll take pictures when he builds this next batch if anyone is interested. I didn't post about them before because it seemed most folks here preferred slant boards so didn't think there would be any interest. The people who do the cleaning here hated slant boards when they tried them so these are what we use.

REDMIST":1r6rfy6s said:
I would love to see photos. my set up will not work with slant boards and to be honest just dont like them.

Would photos of the ones in place/being used now help or did you want photos when he makes new ones? The panels he ordered are supposed to be in at the end of this week, but then it may be a bit before he makes the new pans because there will be more sap to boil by then and we're cutting oak this week and hope to inoculate new shiitake logs early next week. We don't need new cages and pans until the litters not yet born need grow-out space. But we can answer questions if it wasn't clear in my earlier post how they were made--and send photos if you don't mind them not being new and pristine ;)

Latest posts

Back