Home-made rabbit treats

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found alfalfa meal, soybean meal, various forms of barley and oats, and beet pulp at a newly opened feed store. I've been debating how I could turn those in to healthy rabbit treats. For now we are using a wheat flour and flaxseed based horse treat for the rabbits. I can get wheat flour in bulk for like $.50/lb at the co-op and I have flaxseed so I should be able to make something similar. I'm just a horrible cook and haven't taken the time yet to research some recipes I could play with.

Brody and Maggie turned me onto simple dried chunks (1" squares) of whole grained breads. The rabbits love them.

If you want to make them something special, you could try what I do. Oats, wheat, sunflower..whatever you have that's a grain they can eat, ground up (either a grain mill on coarse, or in a food processor). I then chop up carrots in the food processor (or apples) until it's juicy and fine. Mold the whole thing into a muffin tin (they don't really stick 'cuz they're so coarse, but you could line with a paper thing...) OR press in your hand and set on parchment paper.

Pop in a preheated oven, 350Fish, until golden brown. If you find it won't hold it's shape, add wheat flour to your next batch to give it some gluten (that's the "sticky" in bread)

I baked my rabbits a carrot cake :)

But then I ate it myself. :oops:

I mean..... I mean.....they probably aren't supposed to get cream cheese, right?

Walks off into the sunset singing "Alice's Restaurant"

avdpas77":2nc0kqbz said:
I baked my rabbits a carrot cake :)

But then I ate it myself. :oops:

I mean..... I mean.....they probably aren't supposed to get cream cheese, right?

Walks off into the sunset singing "Alice's Restaurant"
er...yah...that's it. and of course, you had EGGS in it..and that's animal protein! my god, man. You SAVED the bunnies' lives! You deserve a reward! (have another piece)

I actually dry lots of things in winter to supplement the bunnies

berries, fruit whatever I can get my mitts on

in the summer nobunny needs treats - freash is treat enough for this gang of beasts :)

papaya and apple slices are two true favourites (and of course I am fortunate enough to be able to dry my own organic apples ;))

I've seen recipes with ground oats and ground pellets held together with mashed banana and/or carrot than baked. It looked good I thought I might add some BOSS and herbs and instead of the oven I might try dehydrating.....Hmmm maybe add a little flax seed as well.

My bunnies go nuts over flowers--purple clover heads, rose petals(especially), nasturtiums, pansies, that kind of thing, any flower you could eat (we eat them). I don't think they would be as tasty dried though, so I think that might be a seasonal treat, but a lot simpler than baking or dehydrating anything, 'cause I'm lazy.

Back