Register

Home made rabbit pellets.

Choose the right feeds to suit your needs and budget.
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 100.00

Re: Home made rabbit pellets.

Post Number:#31  Unread postby MrJacobTiffin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:29 pm

How much sunflower should I add and how and how much soy meal. Is that what i need to add. So have you figure out a good recipe yet.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,100.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby alforddm » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:38 pm

MrJacobTiffin wrote:How much sunflower should I add and how and how much soy meal. Is that what i need to add. So have you figure out a good recipe yet.

I never really tried to figure one out. I figured a feed mill could make the pellets cheaper than I could. I've been interested in rabbit nutrition from the point of view that if I ever couldn't get pellets, would I could feed instead to get good results.

Give me a few minutes and I'll sit down and run a few more calculations. I really want to know what you find out about cost though.

Post Number:#33  Unread postby MrJacobTiffin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:04 am

Cost wise the best thing I could come up with is to try and grow most of what i need. That is the end goal. Thank you for your time and help. But I need a good formula to start with. Most of the big Items on my list can be dried in stored like hay and grains. Oats are a good source of straw too. Keep in mind pellet machines can be used for wood pellets stoves too and Fertilizer too.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,100.00

Post Number:#34  Unread postby alforddm » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm sorry I got distracted last night.

If you do 45% timothy, 30% alfalfa, 9.4% wheat 9.4% oats, 4% soybean meal and 1% sunflower, 1% mineral, you get 16.26% protein. I haven't actually done the math but I think this will also bring your lysine and amino acids into good ranges. However, I haven't even looked at the calcium phosphorus ratio or potassium. I think you'd be fine but like I said I haven't actually done the math.

There has got to be a program written that figures this kinda stuff. :lol:

So do you grow your own alfalfa/timothy?

The following user would like to thank alforddm for this post
MrJacobTiffin

Post Number:#35  Unread postby MrJacobTiffin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:13 am

Im going to start this year. Cannot wait till it starts warming up. I've winter sowed seeds. Alfalfa seed was more expensive than the Timothy. Waiting on my Income tax to purchase my pellet machine and hammer mill. http://www.flatdiepelletmill.com This is the cheapest I found but you still have to pick up at a port. Im also going to start making wood pellets from recycled material that I have already started getting for free. I also want to start making fertilizer pellets too.

-- Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:13 am --

Not sure if I trust the website. Might just go with Ebay for my purchase. Better safety.

Previous